DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   A big THANKYOU to Boyd, Tom and the others... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/36264-big-thankyou-boyd-tom-others.html)

Nigel Garvey December 11th, 2004 09:54 PM

A big THANKYOU to Boyd, Tom and the others...

Hi to all of you
Boyd and Tom and many more of you, to many to list....

A very heartfelt THANKYOU, this site,topic is the most informative, helpful, Un-jugdemental of us newbies, and most of all interesting forum I have found.

I have a PDX10P, I've worked in stills and graphic animation for a lotta yrs now and FCP has always been my fav for final output of animated scenes.

Recently (6 months ago) had the oppotunitie to start experimenting with video using my new PDX. Great times we're having together toooo I might add. Any issues I've had with the camara, are more me learning than the camara being at fault. But, most of all it has been due to the constant reading and learning I do at this forum that has helped me to reach the stage I'm beginning to reach... Confidently pull her out of the bag and start shooting.

I still have much to learn, but don't we all! "when we stop learning we stop living..."

I'm sorry I've never contributed to the site, but others have asked the questions, and I've rarely had the answers for them, when I have, you guys have answered first and far better. However, maybe I'll be able to contribute more as time go's by.

So Thanks again
and may all the best light and subjects cross your fields of view.

Nigel

Boyd Ostroff December 11th, 2004 11:25 PM

Thanks Nigel, I'll look forward to hearing from you in the future!

Tom Hardwick December 14th, 2004 02:12 PM

And a 'thanks' from me too. I've often be hard on the PDX10 but I do like to push, feeling that manufacturers shouldn't be able to foister any old thing on us. I've also got a sneaky regard for the PDX because here's a camcorder that you can hide (almost) in the palm of your hand, yet it can produce the most strikingly good footage. This may well be determined by the shooting conditions, but it's also determined by the way the camera's used. I'm convinced that the more you understand what goes on under the hood, the better you can force the machine to work for you.

Keep experimenting Nigel. It's those that do that pave the way ahead.

tom.

Nigel Garvey December 14th, 2004 08:25 PM

Hi Guys, Thanks Tom, and you are so right about the "pushing", you have to, Sony have been a bit "Silly" (understatement!) with the "on screen info" with the exposure and ND issues. The smearing I can deal with, (thanks to hints at this forum), Low audio! I haven't had a problem with, if I'm doing dialogue I "mike right up close" with a boomed shotgun or a "wired lav".
The Auto gain that is the one thing that 'pxxxes" me off. I do want to know when it's clicked in as we can't switch it below 6db. But the threads here you, Chris, Boyd and others have discussed this issue and given good leads and guides as to working out (approx) when it's gonna click in. 6db isn't really noticable for my stuff, and currently I have more light than I can deal with!!! Bangladesh has Soooo much reflected light off the water that a ND4 is normally srewed on and a polorizer never far from reach!
But I want to know what's going on inside anyway! Bad Sony! It's not the camara's fault tho', indeed it challenges my collegues panasonic even in 4:3 and as for 16:9 well, eat dust... PDX wins hands down, and is half the weight, half the size and nearly half the price. Enough said.
FX1 does sound sexy though! But I doubt I''ll change for a year or 3 now, it's fun, I'm happy and learn more everyday.
Cheers all, have fun and good shooting
Nig

Brian A. Smith January 5th, 2006 10:15 AM

To Nigel Garvey

Hi nig
trying to contact you
Brian { x uk now in canada ]