Use DV or DVCAM tapes? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old January 4th, 2005, 03:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Use DV or DVCAM tapes?

Hey, I just purchased a PDX10 (and I can't wait for it to come in!)

I would like to switch between DV and DVCAM recording, but I'm concerned that by switching between the tapes, I'll clog the heads. I plan to use only Sony tapes. Am I OK to switch between Sony DV and Sony DVCAM tapes, or will that cause head trouble?

Also, what about shooting DVCAM footage on miniDV tapes? Will that work?

Thanks for your help!
Eric Wotila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 03:17 PM   #2
Wrangler

It works fine to use the regular DV tapes in DVCAM mode. As I understand it, the only difference between them is the cases and better quality control. Do a search on "DVCAM" for more info, this topic comes up a lot both here and in the PD-170 forum. I think you'll find that few people use the DVCAM tapes since they're so expensive. Personally I shoot everything on the "Sony Premium" tapes, regardless of recording mode.

Welcome to DVinfo.net Eric, and congratulations on the new camera!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 03:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Boyd Ostroff : It works fine to use the regular DV tapes in DVCAM mode. As I understand it, the only difference between them is the cases and better quality control. Do a search on "DVCAM" for more info, this topic comes up a lot both here and in the PD-170 forum. I think you'll find that few people use the DVCAM tapes since they're so expensive. Personally I shoot everything on the "Sony Premium" tapes, regardless of recording mode.

Welcome to DVinfo.net Eric, and congratulations on the new camera! -->>>

Thanks for the help! Sticking with miniDV tapes will save me a bundle.
Old January 4th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Location: Bristol UK normally on Overseas Assignment tho' (currently Bangladesh)
Eric I can confirm Boyds comments.

Due to location I can rarely obtain DVCam Tapes, so use miniDV constantly in both DV and DVCAM mode. To date I have never had a problem, Gummed up head or drive or other tape/drive related issues
I do stick soley to Sony tapes as they are available easily.
I have read, but don't know personaly, that switching tape brands can, or has been, attributed to gummed up heads, but the "Long Black Line' forum should have "real" information there... Rather than my "I have read!!!!"
Cheers
Old January 4th, 2005, 09:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Nigel Garvey : Eric I can confirm Boyds comments.

Due to location I can rarely obtain DVCam Tapes, so use miniDV constantly in both DV and DVCAM mode. To date I have never had a problem, Gummed up head or drive or other tape/drive related issues
I do stick soley to Sony tapes as they are available easily.
I have read, but don't know personaly, that switching tape brands can, or has been, attributed to gummed up heads, but the "Long Black Line' forum should have "real" information there... Rather than my "I have read!!!!"
Cheers -->>>

Thanks for the help! I'm the same way--up here in Northern Michigan, it's hard to get DVCam tapes (or anything else :-) ), so it's nice to know I can use miniDV tapes.
Old January 7th, 2005, 07:35 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Location: Bristol UK normally on Overseas Assignment tho' (currently Bangladesh)
Cheers Eric
Nice to know someone else is in the "hard to get anything" situation!!! But it makes us resourseful and inventive.
Have fun
Cheers
Old January 7th, 2005, 07:46 PM   #7
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Nigel Garvey : Cheers Eric
Nice to know someone else is in the "hard to get anything" situation!!! But it makes us resourseful and inventive.
Have fun
Cheers -->>>

Yeah. Up here in Northern Michigan, it's order online or you're out of luck.

My PDX10 came today--I LOVE IT! Much, MUCH better than my old ZR60 (which actually ended up dying on me yesterday--good thing I had ordered a new camera!)

I've been testing it out a bit, and I've found the widescreen footage to be BEAUTIFUL. I also have been able to get a fairly shallow depth of field, which I couldn't do with the ZR60. Very nice! So far, I really haven't found anything I don't like about the PDX10. I'll keep you posted--but for now, I have to get over to FOX--I'm working the News at 10 tonight.

I'll post more later tonight or tommorrow--when I have some more time to really look in to everything the camera offers.
Old January 7th, 2005, 08:59 PM   #8
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Eric Wotila : So far, I really haven't found anything I don't like about the PDX10 -->>>

Give it time.... ;-)

Seriously, the PDX-10 is a great little camera, especially for its 16:9 as you're discovering. But it has its share of annoying quirks. It is a great value though and once you get used to them you'll get some terrific footage. Congratulations on the new camera, we'll look forward to your reports. Perhaps a new thread would be appropriate since we're wandering away from the DVCAM tape topic?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2005, 09:06 PM   #9
Regular Crew

One difference is unlocked and locked audio.
DV audio is unlocked
DVCAM audio is locked

Locked audio is when the audio sample clock is precisely locked to the video sample clock such that there is exactly the same number of audio samples recorded per "audio frame" of video.

For intance, Final Cut Pro allows captures limited only by available disk space, and the QuickTime media format used treats audio and video as separate tracks, each with its own time reference. When capturing long unlocked-audio clips, drift can become apparent; Final Cut can measure this drift and recalculate the audio sample frequency so that QuickTime playback will stay in sync (the AutoSyncCompensator or Sync Adjust setting, depending on your version of FCP). Other NLEs have their own ways of dealing with the problem -- or not, depending on the NLE.

It's up to you to decide if it's important or not.

Juan
Juan Parra is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion