Accessories advice TRV950 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old September 22nd, 2002, 05:44 PM   #1
Tourist

Accessories advice

Hi friends,
I've decided on the TRV950 as my first camcorder and was wondering what the top reccomended accersories might be. We'll be using it for soccer games and indoor family events. From what I've read an extended life battery, protective lense, and sturdy carry case are important. Does anybody have specific make and model reccomendations or other types of accessories that allow one to get more use from their camcorders without spending an extra $1000.
Thanks for the help and advice, Steve.
xsrossiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2002, 07:05 PM   #2
Wrangler

TRIPOD!!!

If you are doing mostly family fun stuff, and soccer, I'd look for a fairly compact tripod that is quick to setup, but with a smaller footprint to stay out of peoples way at family gatherings.

As far as a case goes, there are lots to choose from. Lowepro makes reasonably priced, reasonably sturdy bags in all kinds of shapes and sizes.

The general accessories are all useful, an extra battery, a UV filter to protect the lens (from kids especialy).
An on camera light may be a consideration if you are shooting in low light for the family stuff.
You don't really need too much. A case, extra battery, tripod, and you are good for the day.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2002, 08:44 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

I'm the poster boy for remote zoom and focus control. Essential if you want to do smooth, slow zooms from a tripod pan handle. The Canon ZR-1000, about $200, will work fine with the TRV950. Then there's a variety of DV controllers at www.varizoom.com

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2002, 08:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Cases Plus makes nice hard cases, I got one for my GL2. Also B+W UV filter to protect the lens without sacrificing image, some will tell you to run the lens naked, I guess that is good, but I am paranoid, so I got the filter. Also I like the Libec M20 tripod which is very nice and comes with its own little carrying bag. It runs about $200 so its the high end of consumer, but much better than the average tripod you will find for the money. Extra batteries are always good. Maybe a camera light if doing close indoor shooting. I am all $$$ out but next wave of accessories will be the varizoom remote zoom/focus control and the Canon wide angle lens for my GL2.
Keith Luken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2002, 08:38 PM   #5
Major Player

Chris,

You say you have the Canon remote zoom, do you like it better than the varizoom? I havea GL2 and that is one of my next purchases. I liek the fact that the varizoom can mount to the tripod handle, can the Canon?

Thanks!
Old September 29th, 2002, 11:51 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I have a brand new Sony ECM-MS908C external microphone that was made for camcorders like the TRV950 to improve the quality of the sound recorded. This mic is the recommended one for the TRV950 and attaches to the hot shoe and can then be moved from side to side at will. Placing it angled over the left side helps reduce the noise from the hand motions of the right hand such as zooming and pushing the start/stop button.
I am selling this new mic for $85, which includes shipping in the continental US. I do not have the need for it as I no longer have a camcorder.
This web page has all the specs from Sony:
http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/ss5/office/accessories/camcordermicrophones/ecm-ms908c.shtml
(You may need to cut and paste in on to get to this exact web page)
My mic is new, in the original box, and has all the accessories that came with it originally.
If interested please, E-mail me PRIVATELY at forrests@teleport.com
Thanks.
Steven Forrest
Steven Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2002, 12:21 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Keith,

Actually I prefer the VariZoom. The PG-L model is my controller of choice. It's aluminum, not plastic like the Canon; I think it's much more robust for field use.

The Canon ZR-1000 does have a tripod pan handle mounting clamp, although it's kind of small. Plus the LANC cable is very short. However if you're on a budget, the ZR-1000 is about half the price of the PG-L. But as you know in this business you get what you pay for.

Choose the one which you can best afford... you won't be disappointed either way. Hope this helps,

Old September 29th, 2002, 12:50 PM   #8
Regular Crew

If you want a light tripod with LANC controls built in it, look at the Sony line. I bought the inexpensive Sony VGT-D580RM (~$70) and it was great for the TRV950 with my mic rig on it, as well, when I had it. The LANC controls allow you to control the camera without touching it and this works well to avoid inadvertent motion and have more precise control over the zoom. Sony has several others in this line but they are bigger and more robust. It depends on what you are looking for. But, I highly recommend the tripods with dedicated LANC controls as less expensive alternatives to buying a standard tripod and adding a LANC control to it.
Steve
Old September 29th, 2002, 02:27 PM   #9
Major Player

Steve,

I would assume that since the Sony Tripod uses LANC that it will be compatible with the Canon GL2?
Old September 29th, 2002, 02:38 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I don't know! But I think LANC is LANC so it probably would work. Others here will know the answer to this better than me.
Sorry.
Steve
Old September 29th, 2002, 07:53 PM   #11
Major Player

Chris,

How about the Varizoom Stealth? I see B&H has it for $199, the Canon ZR1000 is $184, and then Steve recommended a Sony tripod with contols in the handle, but I already have a Libec M20 which I really like, and can't see how the Sony VCT-870RM would be as good, especially since the Sony Tripod with controller is $70 cheaper than my Libec was. The Libec has a nice feel too it. The pictures of the Varizoom stealth make it look cheap, is it as tough as the rest of the varizoom line? Would you leave it on the pan handle all the time or take it off when you fold up the tripod?
Old September 30th, 2002, 12:35 AM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Keith,

Nothing against anybody who uses those Sony tripods, they're just fine for some folks, but most people I know buy them for the LANC control handle and throw away the sticks. The Libec M20 you have is a superb tripod for this camera, so hang on to it.

The Stealth is a fine compact controller but its small size and light weight are its best features. The main drawback is that you can't "set and forget" a zoom speed... the zoom toggle is pressure-sensitive only.

If you need the small size and light weight, and yes although it's plastic it's still tough enough to stay on the tripod all the time, then the Stealth is an excellent way to go.

If you need the ability to dial in a particular speed and not worry about how much pressure you're applying to the rocker, then the ZR-1000 is probably better suited for your needs. Hope this helps,

Old September 30th, 2002, 11:00 AM   #13
Major Player

Chris,

As usual, THANKS! I am going to look into finidng a local shop that may have them both, I liek what I have heard about the Varizoom, but th eCanon locked zoom rate sound appealing. I hear the Canon cord is hort, so I need to see about an extension cable.
Old October 1st, 2002, 12:01 PM   #14
Major Player

Chris,

Actually after reading up more on the Varizoom PG-L I am leaning that way, I know it is a bit more than I originally budgeted, but it does look very impressive. And I see your point on the Canon, it looks liek a good entry level control, but the short cabel means I would be buying an extension cable and then that starts getting sloppy looking as well as ares for problems.
Old October 2nd, 2002, 01:06 AM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Keith,

The PG-L is a bit pricey but trust me it's worth its weight in gold. You won't be disappointed. You spend the money once but you'll always have the controller. I think I'll be buried with mine.

That is when the time comes, you vultures.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion