DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   TecPro WA Question--(Sorry!) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/39211-tecpro-wa-question-sorry.html)

Chris Long February 10th, 2005 08:55 AM

TecPro WA Question--(Sorry!)

Hi All
I know, I know--the wide angle adapter thing has been done to death...and I've been in on some of it! But I have a question that I haven't been able to answer by going back through all the threads.

I'm curious about the TecPro 0.5/37 adapter--the one with the 37mm mount. Much has been written about the other TecPro's, but mostly about the 58mm varieties.

To those who own the TecPro 0.5/37, I'm wondering about your results. I'm curious whether the positive comments that are attributed to the 58mm versions correlate with the 37mm version, or whether it's such a different animal that the comparisons don't hold water.

And while we're at it--does anyone with the 58mm version use it on their PDX-10 (with an adapter ring, of course) and if so, does that whole assemblage fit in the large lens hood that Sony provides?

Thanks--don't mean to cover oldd ground needlessly--I just can't find this specific stuff in the archived threads...

Boyd Ostroff February 10th, 2005 09:57 AM

No experience here myself, but I can't imagine that anything with 58mm threads could possibly fit inside the lens hood! :-)

Gareth Watkins February 10th, 2005 10:06 AM

Hi Chris

I have the Techpro 37mm W/A... I find it very good.
Sharpness is excellent... I screwed it on my TRV 950 and it stayed there for the whole summer shooting. It zooms right through and is well constructed.

Deformation is noticeable at the widest setting, but it only really shows if you have straight edges or horizon in the shot.

Edges are softer, and wide open indoors sharpness does fall off markedly.

I needs a good lens hood if you don't want any flare... Even then on some shots in bright conditions I noticed some.

Its short comings to me were insignificant because it transformed the disasterous angle of view on my 950 into a useable camera indoors and out.

I shot our promotional DVD with this set up over last summer and was very pleased indeed with the results of both the camera and the W/A adapter.

Regards
Gareth

Chris Long February 11th, 2005 08:54 AM

Boyd--you're right, I had the same thought. Probably have to use one of those screw-on hoods. And maybe a helium balloon to act as a counterbalance....;^)

Gareth, thanks for the clarity with which you write. I'm not sure that I would gain much, if anything, by getting the TecPro 0.5/37. It would be nice to do a side-by-side comparison with what I currently have (a Raynox HD5000Pro). The Raynox is fine, but it seems to match what you describe of the TecPro, so going to the trouble of getting one here from the UK might be a waste of time.

By the way, Gareth--does the 0.5/37 unscrew into 2 halves, one being a macro element, as has been described of other TecPro's? Or is it a solid, single unit?