pdx10 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 01:51 PM   #16
Major Player

Well it arrived 3 day's ago!

And today i had a good play with it and must say iam pleased with it.

Through the custom presets in good light it matches my 170 very well, the 16:9 is awesome, and yes Boyd the digital zoom at 24x is the best ive seen,

I know this will have been asked but what wideangle do i need, and is there a good 2x converter out there.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 02:13 PM   #17
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Ian Thomas : and yes Boyd the digital zoom at 24x is the best ive seen -->>>

Shhh!... don't let Tom hear you say that! ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 04:01 PM   #18
Trustee

Got my PDX10 after a long decision

Well, at last I've got it!

It's my strong advice, if you can, to go to B&H and try all the cameras they have ready for testing and playing around. It's worth a thousand words and a thousand threads.

You can watch every camera on a professional monitor, so you can really see what the differences are. Some are minor, some are not, but it will all depend on your budget and what you are going to use it for.

Right now, in 16:9, nothing can beat the PDX10 if you can use Sony's rebate. It's a giant of a little machine.

Next comes the Panasonic DVC30, which is very good in 4:3. Pity it's not that good in 16:9, because its LCD screen is great. No XLRs if you want to compare it with the PDX10 price-wise. It's $150 more though.

Surprisingly for me the next in the choices for less than $2,000 was the JVC DV300, which you can really compare it with the PD170, because it has 1/3" CCDs and XLR inputs.

My problem with JVC is that I am not sure of their products reliability, as my past experience with mine or other's was not very good. If you live in the US (I don't) it's an excellent choice for $ 1,949.95 at B&H right now. Very professional but not too small.

I agree with Boyd that the smear is absolutely no big deal on the PDX10. I shot several interviews in NY and also some external shots in the city, and got excellent images.

My concerns with it are:

1) Limited choices in filters at 37mm. My must-have grad NDs are non-existent in that size, as well as any kind of contrast type. Will have to use an adapter ring to go to a larger size.

2) Connectors seem to be a bit fragile: both the PDX10 and DVC30 had intermittencies on their S-video outputs at B&H. It probably needs a cable that you never unplug and a sturdier connector on the other end. The firewire connector probably suffers from the same problem.

3) LCD screen is a bit contrasty and you can't adjust that. You better use a gray-scale for serious lighting and an external LCD screen. I bought a 7" one. The B&W viewfinder can be trusted there, but it's too small. Any suggestion for a rubber or foam cup?

4) It has no carrying handle to hold the camera from. Is there any type around you can use for that? As I bought a Bracket 1 mount I plan to use it for that, but a handle should be better.

5) Using external adaptors can be a pain to screw in if you use the large lens hood, as threading them is hard. Pity they are not bayonet types.

The options for 37mm WA adaptors is large, and I tried two. As my top budget for that was $90, I tried one of the Century models, but it's not zoom-through. So I exchanged it for a Sony VCL-0637S which costs $30 and did quite good on the shots I used it. Though I still have to see those shots on a pro monitor screen. Going to full zoom it seemed to be pretty sharp on the LCD screen and viewfinder.

Do get an external battery charger and at least two large batteries. Having to use the camera to charge the batteries is an awful choice, and I wonder why that seems to be the only way nowadays. In my case I got two Power-2000 NP-QM91, which are 5.4 Amp type batteries and last pretty long. They also balance the camera better.
Do get a Petrol hood for the LCD: it's only $20 but you will need it in daylight.

One thing that I left standing by was a Cavision 3 x 3 matte-box I was going to buy. You can't return it if you don't like it, and B&H doesn't stock it, so you can't try it before buying. I might go for it though, as their filter package has a pro-mist and a grad ND. But do get the Tiffen 37mm enhancing kit.

Hopefully this list will help others as a starting point. There are more things I got though.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #19
Wrangler

Re: Got my PDX10 after a long decision

<<<-- Originally posted by Carlos E. Martinez : I agree with Boyd that the smear is absolutely no big deal on the PDX10. -->>>

Ssshhh! Ssshhh guys! Tom might be eavesdropping ;-)

That's a good report Carlos, sounds like you had a fun shopping trip. You're right about the absence of a carrying handle, it is a little awkward but I suppose I've gotten used to it.

Personally I've never noticed a problem with either the s-video or i.Link connectors on my camera, but I don't use them all that often. They seem pretty comparable in quality to the connectors on my VX-2000 which has seen heavy use of s-video and firewire for over 3 years without problems.

There are two things which I do dislike about the PDX-10's connectors however. I really hate that stereo mini-plug which carries both composite video and L+R audio. That's what I expect from a cheap single chipper, but I do understand the need to reduce the size of things on a small camera like the PDX-10.

The other thing is the hotshoe connection for the XLR box. As you have probably already learned, you have to push it REALLY hard until it clicks in place. A number of users have commented on this here, and several people thought there were problems on their new cameras because they weren't pushing hard enough to snap it in place. Now I've taken mine on and off frequently, and never had a problem, but I just don't like the way it feels personally. Guess it's no big deal, haven't seen any reports of them breaking or failing.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 02:58 PM   #20
Major Player

Well i have shot some footage with the pdx in 16:9 and now i have set the custom settings i must say this little cam is becomeing awesome, My Tv moniter has widescreen were it crops both the top and bottom and my footage shot in 4:3 looks the same as that shot in true widescreen with the pdx10,

How do you see the difference between true widescreen and the 16:9 shot with the likes of the 170, and is my moniter just masking the top and bottom of the screen to give the widescreen affect.
Old March 14th, 2005, 02:43 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Hey guys, I AM eavesdropping but I'm laughing too loudly to type straight.

But to the point. Great post Carlos, with some well observed details.

Might be worth pointing out that although the filter thread is only 37 mm, you'll still need a good wide-angle converter to cover the entire frame. Remember that you should view the results of any wide-angle lens test on a PC monotor, with any filters you intend to use in place, at full wide-angle, in the 16:9 mode and with Steadyshot turned on and the camera moved about. This will shift the image on the chips and any vignetting that's going to appear will be shown up.

Ian - your TV monitor should come with all sorts of aspect ratio options available via the remote control. Read the book to find out what's on offer, because it sounds to me as if something's seriously up.

Now, about that CCD smear... Ho ho. Have you read my surprise on the VX2000 forum about the XL1 smear?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 02:19 PM   #22
Major Player

well i have had the pdx10 for a few weeks now and i must say that iam very pleased with it, yes i have seen the ccd flare but this can be avoided.

The cam is very portable and the picture it gives either in 4:3 and 16:9 is pretty awesome and i think all this talk about the flare issue as deflected all the good things about this little cam, i think that you have to get to know the cam and learn the best way round things.

I think this is why sony have not replaced it and may i add still selling here in the uk like hot cakes.

Thanks to you all for you dedication and helpfulness you are the champs, and lets hope this little marvel will be around for a while yet it deserves to be.
Old March 27th, 2005, 02:34 PM   #23
Wrangler

Glad things are going well for you. I'm very curious as to what Sony may have in mind for the future of the PDX-10, maybe we'll find out at NAB? Elsewhere there was a link posted that indicated Sony has stopped making the Infolithium QM-91 batteries for the PDX-10. This makes me think they don't have a lot of future plans for the line...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion