Smear on LCD screen at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old March 15th, 2005, 02:26 PM   #1
Tourist

Smear on LCD screen

Just got the PDX-10. I noticed that when I shoot outside in high contrast situations, or very white objects, and I pan the camera while shooting, I get like a "smear" of white tail on the LCD screen. Played a bit with the LCD brightness - it helped a bit, but didn't solved the problem totaly. Is the LCD looks that weired because of the touch-screen system or what?
Yaron Keinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 02:44 PM   #2
Wrangler

Welcome to DVinfo Yaron!

Sorry, I have never noticed this. Are you sure it's just the LCD screen and it isn't being recorded to tape also? Were you using manual controls? It almost sounds like the shutter speed was set low? The default level of sharpening also can exhibit sort of shadow or white outline next to contrasty objects. Turning it down in the custom preset helps. See if the smear also shows up on a monitor.

The LCD panel on the PDX-10 isn't perfect, but I've always thought it was pretty good for a camcorder. It's a lot nicer than my VX-2000 for example. I never really noticed the phenomenon you've described but maybe someone else has?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 04:51 AM   #3
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Boyd Ostroff : The default level of sharpening also can exhibit sort of shadow or white outline next to contrasty objects. Turning it down in the custom preset helps. -->>>

Interesting to note that when I did my camera comparison at B&H, looking at the results on the 17" monitors they placed close to each camera, I noticed that white outline on an object. I didn't imagine that might be related to sharpening adjust.

When I did my personal setup on the camera, I did lower the sharpening and I never noticed that problem again, but that might be just luck... or not.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2005, 01:51 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I think Boyd's right, and you need to determine if what you're seeing on the LCD screen has been recorded to tape. The v'finder abd side screen are very low resolution readouts of what's actually being recorded to tape, so my guess is you'll be ok.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #5
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Carlos E. Martinez : When I did my personal setup on the camera, I did lower the sharpening and I never noticed that problem again -->>>

This is most definitely related to the sharpness custom preset. Have you seen the tests I did with different sharpness settings?

http://www.greenmist.com/dv/pdxsharp/

For close shots I turn it all the way down. For long shots with lots of detail I tend to prefer it one click above the minimum. It really depends on your personal taste and what effect you're after though. If you do a search you'll find we've discussed this here in the past.

If you have a chance, hook the camera up to a decent monitor and play with all the custom presets, you'll learn a lot! :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion