PDX-10 &TRV-950 16:9 ratio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old October 8th, 2002, 04:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

PDX-10 &TRV-950 16:9 ratio

Several people have been having a conversation on the similarities and differences of these two camera's. We have been trying to determine if both camera's have the same 16:9 aspect ratio or if the 950 cuts 25% of the picture off as the vx-2000 and trv-900 do. Does anyone have a difinitive answer to this question and the relevant link or site info supporting it ?
KennJ
Old October 8th, 2002, 07:19 AM   #2
Regular Crew

hi Kenn,
i don't have an answer, but i'm freaking sure they both have similar chips and signal processing circuits.

my two cents..

regards, Margus
Margus Kivilaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2002, 07:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

As they have exactly the same chip in them the difference if any must be in the software programing , yes? And if that is so there must be a way to make the 950 function as the 10 does theoreticaly.
KennJ
Old October 8th, 2002, 08:19 AM   #4
Regular Crew

i have'nt had possibility to try 950, but 2000 and 900 produce the same quality picture as pd150 and pd100 accordingly, no need for any software changes. It would be really something new, if Sony would restrict 950 possibilities to make it's picture quality worse than pdx10. Yeah.... but you never know...

Margus
Margus Kivilaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2002, 07:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

True 16X9

Kenn, I have suggested www.creativevideo.co.uk/ to others in this forum. Go to site, select DV Camcorder tab on left, scroll to description of PDX10 and select link titled "true 16X9. I don't know if their explanation is accurate or what you want, but it does discuss 16X9 as done by PDX10--I wonder if TRV950 does it same way-- anyone have info on that??
Dennis Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2002, 01:19 AM   #6
Outer Circle

According to that site, it's only the PDX10 that does this, not the TRV950. It's wide screen..., but is it also 24P?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2002, 02:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

PDX10 24P and 14 Bit DXP

Frank, doubt it's 24P but can't tell from minimal info Sony puts on website (finally have found their professional website). Can someone please tell me what 14 Bit DXP (Digital Extended Processor) in PDX10 means and what if any benefits it provides. Margus first pointed 14 bit out in this forum and it is mentioned in Sony's minimalist PDX10 internet brochure (but no mention in their brochure about "true 16X9" this camera has, which seems like a beneficial feature they should mention).

By the way, kudos to Sony's new wave internet marketing. I used to think their sites were just not as good as Canon's in terms of information availability. But then I figured it out-- Sony is deliberately and fiendishly making it so hard to find information that people try all the harder to find info. I suspect (since I am not a gamer) it is like games where you pass gates of difficulty, each one harder but more rewarding when you conquer it. You get hooked trying harder and harder to find and finally unlock the Sony Secret Information Trove (it's just got to be hidden out there somewhere). By the way, Canon makes it way too easy so I suspect gamers have dropped Canon and moved on to Sony for the real challenge. Go to Canon website, download tons of information-- where's the challenge in that??
Old October 15th, 2002, 02:02 AM   #8
Outer Circle

That's a good point about Sony's "find the info game." They do make games. I guess the strategy spills into their web design. (I was only kidding about the 24P. Honestly.)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2002, 06:36 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Find the Info Game

Frank, I am up one level in the Sony hide the info game--a Dragonmaster (sounds sort of gamey doesn't it) pretending to be a Sony customer service rep at the "professional" 800 phone line referred me to www.sony.com\professional. He did that because he could not answer my question about what is the benefit of 14 Bit DXP advertised in one blurb about PDX10 nor could he refer me to anyone else at Sony to talk to. Still, I can't blame Sony-- my purchases will not justify much effort on their part and I do tend to want to know more than I really need to know.
Old October 16th, 2002, 04:29 AM   #10
Regular Crew

When you can

Take a look at these pictorial comparisons of the vaarious shot settings between the 950 and 10 at.
http://www.techshop.net/PDX-10/
KennJ
Old October 16th, 2002, 07:03 PM   #11
Regular Crew

True 16X9

Kenn, from what my novice eyes tell me from your referenced site and the creativevideo one I saw earlier, looks like PDX10 does actually have benefits in 16X9 ??
Old October 17th, 2002, 02:06 AM   #12
ThreeSixtyProductions

How many TV lines does the PDX10P resolve at 16:9 is ther eany loss?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion