Shallow depth of Field with PDX10P at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old April 14th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Shallow depth of Field with PDX10P

hi all,

whats the best way of achieving a reasonably shallow depth of field with the PDX10P? it seems pretty hard to do this when shooting outdoors since it has a 1/4inch ccd.

or is using a mini 35 adaptor the only way?...
James Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 08:57 AM   #2
Wrangler

About all you can do is zoom way in and be sure the iris is open full. A few ND filters can come in handy for that. If you're a big fan of shallow DOF then this may not be the best camera choice. Personally, I think people are way too hung up on the whole DOF thing, but that's just me.... :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I just want say the same thing in a different way.

If you want to narrow Depth of Filed, pull the camera back,
zoom in and open the iris.

The farther back the camera is from the subject while maintaining
the composition you want, combined with zooming all-the-way in,
will give you the narrowest DoF. In order to have the iris wide
open and the correct exposure when you are outdoors,
you'll need ND filters or perhaps shoot at sunrise or sunset.

I agree with Boyd that some people are obsessed with narrow
DoF. These people want DoF regardless of the story or if it'll be
effective for the story. They use it as a gimmick. However, it has
to be considered if you're looking for a filmlook style. Especially
when your subjects are far apart from one another.
Old April 18th, 2005, 12:58 AM   #4
Inner Circle

It's also worth mentioning that for the narrowest DOF it's best to be as close as possible to your subject and have the background as far away as possible. If you don't have extra NDs with you, it's pretty easy to up the shutter speed. Beware of going into the gain-up mode though - the PDX10 has to be 'understood' to avoid this happening. You bar-graph reading guys know what I mean.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 07:59 AM   #5
Trustee

Or, if you drop the light levels overall, the iris will more fully open and you will get a similar function as adding ND filters. HOWEVER - you risk increasing the noise floor by going into too low a light situation. You need to turn the camera gian off (does this one have gain? I haven't played with my PDX in a while).

You should keep the lighting balanced even if you do go lower in level.

I needed a close up of my grandsons wooden Thomas the train set for a kids DVD I am working on and doing it on my living room coffe table with the shades pulled and a touch of auxilary light from a dual lamp flourescent 5600K shop light from the hardware store, I got nice DOF.

To give an example, the engine was in focus but 3 cars back was quite a bit out of focus. Exactly what I was looking for. The cars are less than 4" each so I got a good DOF feel over 12" of space.

It is doable. Just don't take the light too low, or better, use an ND filter in front of the lens. Buy good ones so you don't get distrotion.

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 08:13 AM   #6
Wrangler

In auto mode you can limit (but not eliminate) the amount of gain the camera will add using the custom presets. In manual mode your cannot. Yep, you need to be a "bar graph reader" to understand what's happening in manual mode. With the exposure indicator completely at the right hand position you are adding 18dB of gain. Turn the wheel and count in 3dB clicks to find the 0dB position and take note. In 16:9 mode I've found that 0dB is when the indicator sits just between the "D" and the "E" in the "16:9 WIDE" text on the screen....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion