DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   xl1 vs. pdx10? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/43779-xl1-vs-pdx10.html)

Eric Wotila April 29th, 2005 06:47 PM

xl1 vs. pdx10?

Hey,

Just wondering--which produces a better picture quality? The XL1 (original, not the XL1s), or the PDX10? Looking into replacing or supplementing my PDX10, but I'd like to know which provides better quality. Thanks in advance!

Boyd Ostroff April 29th, 2005 06:58 PM

I really have no experience with the XL-1, but lots with the PDX-10. I can't imagine two cameras that are more different however. I would start by focusing on that aspect. The PDX-10 is tiny and lightweight, the XL-1 is big and heavy. Does that matter to you? XL-2 doesn't have an LCD screen, the PDX-10 has as very nice, bright, high res 3.5" screen and B&W viewfinder.

The PDX-10 is much newer technology. Smaller chips, but much higher resolution. The PDX-10 records DVCAM, if that matters to you. It also has XLR inputs. But I think the main factor to consider is the 16:9 capability of the PDX-10. It can produce beautiful results under reasonable light levels in 16:9. The XL-1 is not going to do that for you. But if you aren't interested in shooting 16:9 then the PDX-10 loses a lot of its appeal.

PDX-10 is currently selling for $1,800 at B&H, with a $200 Sony rebate that brings your total to $1,600. It certainly has its quirks, but that's a lot of bang for the buck. Also consider that filters, wide and telephoto adaptors are very inexpensive in the PDX-10's 37mm size.

But as I mention above, I'd start by considering the vastly different form factors.

Dave Perry April 29th, 2005 10:54 PM

I would choose the PDX 10 simply for the fact that it shoots native 16:9 and the price is right. If you have the money I would go for an XL2 however.

Ian Thomas April 30th, 2005 03:26 PM

Pdx10 or XL1s

Depends on what you want it for!

The Pdx10 is a fantastic little camera with its true 16:9 and wonderful picture,
The downside for me was the short 12x zoom, arkward to handle, fiddley buttons, small v/finder.

The XL1s in my book for part of what i do Wildlife filming is unbeatable, interchangeable len's is a must and the picture for me far outshines the pdx and of course manual control which the XL1s has, but you get what you pay for.

In a nutshell the PDX10 for its price is very good, but for me and what i wanted it did'nt cut the mustard the Xl1s rules

Boyd Ostroff April 30th, 2005 04:29 PM

Ian - in case it makes a difference - note that Eric was looking for a comparison with "The XL1 (original, not the XL1s)"

Eric Wotila April 30th, 2005 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Ian - in case it makes a difference - note that Eric was looking for a comparison with "The XL1 (original, not the XL1s)"

I was just about to point that out... I assume there's a bit of a difference between the XL1 and the XL1s?

Ian Thomas May 1st, 2005 02:23 AM

Sorry to much rum in my coffee,

Yes there is a small difference between the two but not that you see that on a tv moniter, but my opinion stands, Go for what suits your applications and you feel comfortable with.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Boyd Ostroff May 1st, 2005 07:50 AM

Also consider that the XL1 has been out of production for a number of years, so anything you buy today will probably have seen a lot of use. Were you considering a new or used PDX-10? A new camera (regardless of make and model) would have the advantage over the XL-1 of a warranty plus no wear and tear.

But as Ian and I both point out, you need to decide which type of camera is better suited to you, they are really different.

Eric Wotila May 1st, 2005 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Also consider that the XL1 has been out of production for a number of years, so anything you buy today will probably have seen a lot of use. Were you considering a new or used PDX-10? A new camera (regardless of make and model) would have the advantage over the XL-1 of a warranty plus no wear and tear.

But as Ian and I both point out, you need to decide which type of camera is better suited to you, they are really different.

What happened was I found a great deal on a XL1 on eBay. However, by now it's gone high enough that it's not such a great deal any more, and I'm not really looking in to it. I already have a PDX-10, and it's working great.

I was just looking into the XL1 because it was a great deal. Since it's not so much of a deal anymore, I'm not really looking into it any more.

Thanks for all the advice, though!

Tom Hardwick May 3rd, 2005 05:09 AM

I think you're right Eric. I bought another VX2000 last week, and you can read my thoughts on buying this camera secondhand over in the VX/PD list.

tom.

Kurth Bousman May 3rd, 2005 01:32 PM

<<<<What happened was I found a great deal on a XL1 on eBay. However, by now it's gone high enough that it's not such a great deal any more, and I'm not really looking in to it. I already have a PDX-10, and it's working great.>>>>

Eric - I buy alot of stuff on ebay and ... I'd never buy a video camera on ebay unless it was new , with US warranty and from a seller that had at least a 1000 99% rating. But if you want I'll give you alittle secret. Most of the people that are successful bidders buy within the last 15 seconds of the auction. Don't even bother bidding until the very last moment, and then the price can double in that short time span , if it's a sought out item. Hope this helps for your next ebay purchase. Kurth

Eric Wotila May 3rd, 2005 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurth Bousman
<<<<What happened was I found a great deal on a XL1 on eBay. However, by now it's gone high enough that it's not such a great deal any more, and I'm not really looking in to it. I already have a PDX-10, and it's working great.>>>>

Eric - I buy alot of stuff on ebay and ... I'd never buy a video camera on ebay unless it was new , with US warranty and from a seller that had at least a 1000 99% rating. But if you want I'll give you alittle secret. Most of the people that are successful bidders buy within the last 15 seconds of the auction. Don't even bother bidding until the very last moment, and then the price can double in that short time span , if it's a sought out item. Hope this helps for your next ebay purchase. Kurth

I usually bid in the last 5 seconds--I know what you mean.

I'm not big on buying cameras on eBay, but $59 for an XL1 when the seller has 100% positive feedback (over 200) -- is worth it! It went up to over $1000 quickly, though (what a surprise ;-) )

Anyway--thanks for the advice!