1.5x conversion lens vs. 2x conversion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old June 10th, 2005, 07:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

1.5x conversion lens vs. 2x conversion

I am debating purchasing the Sony 2x HG conversion lens. I now have a Sony 1.5x. My question, Are you able to see much difference between the two. The 1.5x is maybe 15yrs. old. It has 46mm threads so I use a step down ring to fit my TRV950 37mm threads. It has 72mm front element and is threaded so I can use filters, which I like. I am very happy with the recorded image, I am just wondering if the Image would appear closer with the 2x. Also has anyone used Sony's 3x conversion lens, if so is it zoom thru? Also how about quality of the image.

Thanks,
Bob J. Trimmer
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:09 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Bob... from another Medford a few thousand miles away! No experience with the 1.5x, but I have the Sony High Grade 2x lens for my PDX-10. I have been really happy with this lens. The PDX-10 has a 35mm equivalent focal length of about 500mm when zoomed in full in 16:9 mode. So a 2x lens changes this to 1000mm, and your 1.5x would be like a 750mm lens in 35mm terms. Actually, since the TRV-950 doesn't use the full CCD width like the PDX-10, these numbers would be even higher.

I use the lens to shoot our performance videos from the rear of the house which is over 100 feet from the stage. It lets move in pretty close from that distance; here's an example:

http://tech.operaphilly.com/sets/pas.../norina-01.jpg

As far as zoom through, well I doubt any 2x lens will let you zoom all the way to the wide end without vignetting. I can zoom well past the halfway mark before having this problem, and focus is maintained the whole way.

Shooting from such a great distance at this much magnification means you need a really steady mount. Our 150 year old wooden theatre has a lot of movement, but I find that turning Steadyshot on really improves things.

The only downside to this lens is its lack of front filter threads. I've never seen a Sony 3x lens. Make sure you're looking at the "high grade" series of lenses. I bought one of the cheap Sony 2x converters on sale for $30. It was just a waste of $30, I threw it away....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 04:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

1.5x conversion lens vs. 2x conversion lens

Thanks Boyd for your reply to my question on conversion lens. I appreciate your math. showing the relationship of the two lenses. By the way I was in
Medford NJ a few years back. We really enjoyed your part of our great country on a fall color trip.

Bob J. Trimmer

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion