DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Shot my 2nd wedding with the PDX10 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/46152-shot-my-2nd-wedding-pdx10.html)

Jeff S Smith June 13th, 2005 10:19 AM

Shot my 2nd wedding with the PDX10

I shot my second wedding with the PDX10 on saturday night. It was an experience, to be sure. It was an outdoor wedding and we started out with beautiful, sunny weather. It was my first outdoors wedding and so we got there about 40 min early to figure out the best camera angles to capture the event while getting good mountain backdrops and avoiding the bright sun. Unfortunately, ominous dark clouds creeped over the mountain and headed our way.

We were just starting the service when the storm hit. The wind gusts picked up empty chairs, knocked over flower pots, and took off the bride's veil. I had to hold onto my tripod to keep it from being carried away.

But the service continued on. The maid of honor used both hands to hold down the bride's veil. The groomsmen used their hands to hold down the remaining flower pots. Twelve minutes into the abbreviated service, they were pronounced man and wife and then the rain came. Buckets. There was no orderly recessional set to music (the musicians had already scattered to protect their instruments and their tent had blown down). Everyone just bolted for the indoor reception hall.

My partner and I kept our cameras rolling the whole time and captured it all for posterity. I think it will make some interesting video when I edit it with some clips of the twister from the beginning of the Wizard of Oz (to add a little humor to the final video).

The good news is my furry windscreen on my lavalier mic on the groom's jacket and the furry windscreen on my shotgun mic worked like a charm. The audio was suprisingly good. The only interruptions to the wedding audio are the occasional booms of thunder.

The PDX10 performed well at the reception. I had to set the shutter speed to 1/30 sec to avoid grain in a couple scenes. The dance floor was very dim, so I used a video light there to get good footage.

I should note that my other camera, a Canon GL2, didn't need video lights or lower shutter speeds to capture the indoor scenes. It is a great low light camera.

But anyway, I should have some interesting footage to weave into the story of their wedding!

-Jeff

Stephen Finton June 13th, 2005 11:10 AM

Use that classical piece that they use during so many storms on cartoons. You're going to have to change the music from heartfelt stuff to something that embraces the absurdity of the moment. You can't paly "Greensleeves" while the bride is laying face down in a mud puddle.

Jeff S Smith June 13th, 2005 11:38 AM

The nice thing about the storm was that once it was over, a brilliant rainbow appeared over the reception hall. I got some good footage of the bride and groom standing underneath it.

That's why I think I'll use Wizard of Oz and the song "Somewhere over the rainbow".

Stephen Finton June 13th, 2005 02:17 PM

Have an actor play GOD and show scenes of him trying to stop their wedding at all costs. Then have him give up at the end and grace them with a rainbow.

You will, of course, need to employ midgets to sing the closing song.

Jeff S Smith June 13th, 2005 02:49 PM

How tall are you, Stephen? Can you act? :-)

Stephen Finton June 13th, 2005 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff S Smith
How tall are you, Stephen? Can you act? :-)

How tall is the wedding couple and family?