AC adaptor for TRV33 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old June 16th, 2005, 08:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

AC adaptor for TRV33

I just bought a used Sony DCR-TRV33, which came with no AC power adaptor or power cord. According to the manual, the TRV33 comes with an AC-L15A/B AC adaptor. Would my PD150's AC adaptor, model # AC-L10A, work with the TRV33? It looks like AC-L10A's plug can fit in the TRV33's DC IN port. How could I find out?

Thank you.

Stylianos Moschapidakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 09:57 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylianos Moschapidakis
I just bought a used Sony DCR-TRV33, which came with no AC power adaptor or power cord. According to the manual, the TRV33 comes with an AC-L15A/B AC adaptor. Would my PD150's AC adaptor, model # AC-L10A, work with the TRV33? It looks like AC-L10A's plug can fit in the TRV33's DC IN port. How could I find out?

Thank you.
Curiousity killed the camera.
Does the PD150 use the same battery as the TRV33?
If so, you should be able to, just check the specs between the 2 adapters before trying. Make sure all your +, - and gnd are on the same pins and also that the voltage and current are the same. Higher current will kill your camera.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 10:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Finton
Does the PD150 use the same battery as the TRV33?
No, they don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Finton
...just check the specs between the 2 adapters before trying. Make sure all your +, - and gnd are on the same pins and also that the voltage and current are the same. Higher current will kill your camera.
According to the info I found online, the AC-L15 adaptor's specs seem to resemble those of the AC-L10A one; AC ~100-240V 50/60Hz and DC OUT 8.4V. Moreover, I found a third-party adaptor on eBay which is supposed to be a replacement for the following AC power adaptors: AC-L10, AC-L10A, AC-L10B, AC-L15, AC-L15A and AC-L15B. Would all this info be enough to run a test, or is there still the risk to deep-fry the camera?

Last edited by Stylianos Moschapidakis; June 16th, 2005 at 11:22 AM.
Old June 16th, 2005, 11:01 AM   #4
Major Player

My guess is the PD150 takes more current. The universal charger you're talking about, may set voltage current and polarity when you connect whichever battery you are trying to charge. Buy the universal one.
Old June 16th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Here are the specs of the 2 cameras and their AC power adaptors:

PD150:
power requirements
7.2V (battery)
8.4V (AC adaptor)

AC-L10A adaptor:
power requirements
100-240V AC, 50/60Hz
power consumption
23W (31-42VA)
output voltage
DC OUT: 8.4V, 1.5A

TRV33:
power requirements
7.2V (battery)
8.4V (AC adaptor)

AC-L15A adaptor:
power requirements
100-240V AC, 50/60Hz
current consumption
0.35-0.18A
power consumption
18W
output voltage

Is this information helpful enough to someone who knows about power consumption and can possibly help me figure out whether or not the AC-L10A adaptor would work with the TRV33?

Thank you.

Old June 16th, 2005, 07:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Here are the specs of the 2 cameras and their AC power adaptors:

PD150:
power requirements
7.2V (battery)
8.4V (AC adaptor)

AC-L10A adaptor:
power requirements
100-240V AC, 50/60Hz
power consumption
23W (31-42VA)
output voltage

TRV33:
power requirements
7.2V (battery)
8.4V (AC adaptor)

AC-L15A adaptor:
power requirements
100-240V AC, 50/60Hz
current consumption
0.35-0.18A
power consumption
18W
output voltage

Is this information helpful enough to someone who knows about power consumption and can possibly help me figure out whether or not the AC-L10A adaptor would work with the TRV33?

Thank you.

If the pins are the same, then yes.
Old June 17th, 2005, 05:44 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Stephen, thank you for your help. When you say "If the pins are the same," do you mean those of the plug of the AC adaptor that connects to the camera's DC IN port?

Old June 17th, 2005, 06:51 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Stephen, thank you for your help. When you say "If the pins are the same," do you mean those of the plug of the AC adaptor that connects to the camera's DC IN port?
yes. If for some mean reason they swapped negative, positive and ground on the connector, then you could screw up your camera. At least you're just trying it on the TRV33, instead of the other way around.
Old June 30th, 2005, 07:28 AM   #9
Trustee

Lookup the Sony adapters on Bescor.com. Then call them. I use their stuff for my PDX10 and have had no troubles. Make sure you call them about this one.

I believe all Sony cameras that have the small flat connector are all the same voltage input to the camera. Call Bescor.

Higher current will not kill the camera. Higher voltage will kill the camera.

I can use a 300 Amp power supply but nearly all that power will never be used. The device will only draw the current needed to operate it. Voltage on the other hand will damage the rectifiers and voltage regulators in the initial power supply stages in the camera (or any other device).

As proof, the average 2-way radio gets hooked directly to a car battery and has no issues. The radio may only draw 3.5 Amps but the battery capacity may be 400 cold cranking amps. No problems.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion