DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Contest? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/47009-contest.html)

Sean McHenry June 30th, 2005 07:43 AM

Contest?

Anyone shooting with our favorite camera for the new DV contest? Just wondering. The day is quickly approaching and I have committed to doing something, finally.

Let's show those guys in the other forums what our little camera can really do....

Sean McHenry

Jeff S Smith June 30th, 2005 12:57 PM

What type of contest is it?

I doubt I will have time to create something as I am swamped with my regular job and shooting/editing wedding videos.

-Jeff

Chris Thiele June 30th, 2005 08:40 PM

Hi Sean,

I registered for the comp.
Not sure I will be a good example of what is possible. I'm just an enthusiatic amateur, not a pro like many of the others. When I read that they will be able to have their 'crew' available I go gulp. It's just little me an' me PDX10p. But it will be fun to give it a go.

Jeff: DV CHALLENGE #2 (rules)
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=45842
DV CHALLENGE #2 Sign-up
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=45841

c'mon everyone, If I can give it a go then anyone can.

Duane Smith July 2nd, 2005 07:43 AM

I don't have the time to do it...and I certainly don't have the SKILL to compete! LOL!

But it does sound fun; maybe someday I'll be able to jump into something like this, but for now I can't.

Sean McHenry July 8th, 2005 01:35 AM

I am mostly done with the pre-pro. Have the Avid timeline worked out, titles are in place, music bed is laid in and I have a rough script.

Using my daughter as talent and me for some VO. I like what I have so far. I have a week to shoot and refine it now. I thought it was a 48 hour thing. We have over a week to do this.

Not too late to sign up. The theme is "Secret", any genre, and the additional prize will be for best cinematography.

SMM

Chris Thiele July 8th, 2005 01:53 AM

Sean,

You make it sound so easy!!!

My bottom lip is protruding out in a pouting manner!
What have I done! Wall of shame here I come!

I have a cartoon of Snoopy next to my monitor, you may have seen it; Snoopy is at a typewriter "It" ... "It was" ... "It was a dark" ... "It was a dark and stormy night" ... Then the bubble of thought "Good writing is hard work".

Sean, the theme is "Secrets" not "Secret" - but that still doesn't help me. The ideas I have come up with are a bit corny. But, alas, I will still give it a go.

So folks, if someone like me can give it a go ... then it should be a breaze for you. Quick, sign up!

Sean McHenry July 8th, 2005 07:18 AM

You know what might be an interesting experiment one day...to give everyone the same exact script and shot list and see just how many ways we come up with to accomplish the goal.

What actors are chosen, musical scores, lighting, etc.

I could e-mail you what I have and you are welcome to do a version of it if you like. I had to find something I could do as mostly a lone wolf. I have the willing daughter and a few folks that might be interested but I like keeping total control.

If you want what I have so far, you're welcome to a copy but you have to make it worse than my version. After all, it wouldn't be right for you to amke a better version of my script than I can pull off.

Good luck folks,

Sean McHenry

Michael Gibbons July 11th, 2005 10:30 AM

I also entered with my pdx. I couldn't get a hold of a mic, so I made a broom handle boom pole, bought 30' of xlr cable and used the stock mic. It actually performed pretty well. I lit with home depot work lights, practicles, and little halogen desk lamps that I used for foot lights. We also tweaked the light quite a bit to get the look we wanted.
I have one scene left to edit, and possibly one shot left to do.

After I'm done I'm thinking of selling my pdx10 and using the $ as a nest egg for a HD(V?) cam, but, now that I've had some real time with the cam it will be a sad and bitter parting. :(

Chris Thiele July 15th, 2005 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
I could e-mail you what I have and you are welcome to do a version of it if you like. I had to find something I could do as mostly a lone wolf. I have the willing daughter and a few folks that might be interested but I like keeping total control.

If you want what I have so far, you're welcome to a copy but you have to make it worse than my version. After all, it wouldn't be right for you to amke a better version of my script than I can pull off.

Sean McHenry

Thanks Sean for the incredibly generous offer (to all of us). It is people like you that make this forum really worth while. When I read your offer I was encouraged to really go for it. I have now submitted my entry, and yes, I had to do it all myself, zero assistance.(Therefore no-one else to blame)

It is also a GREAT idea that we try a contest with the same script. I love that idea. It would be interesting to see what people come up with.

One other quick question, has Boyd gone AWOL? haven't seen a posting from him in a while. I'm sure the Opera would have plenty of 'Secrets' he could have included.