How great/bad is the PDX10? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old November 14th, 2002, 09:12 AM   #16
Regular Crew

KennJ,
Thank you for clarifying your original post. I am very happy with the VX2000 system I have put together. After I returned the TRV950, I obtained the VX2000 and then continued to invest in audio accessory equipment until my system was as good as possible for what were, in reality, the system’s sound recording limits. I subsequently decided that my large investment in A/V equipment was being wasted on me since I was only a casual user and the system was way more than I needed to take family pictures. Thus I am offering it for sale, at a large loss to myself, but for the benefit of a person who would use the system to it's fullest, and enjoy the quality of it. I still will sell the system if an offer for it is made, otherwise, for the most part, it will sit in the closet, not getting the use it deserves.
My observations on the video aspects of the TRV950 vs. the VX2000 are strictly my personal experiences after testing out only 1 sample of each model. I never claimed to be using the equipment to it's maximal capability because, as I stressed many times, that is not my interest at this time. I want to have a quick and easy setup for occasional family pictures. I did not, and still do not want to take the time and patience to learn the fine details of videography that you and jAyVIdDV speak about.
In summary, I found the TRV950 that I had gave me too much vertical smear for the way I was using it and was going to be using it, and thus, upgraded to the VX2000 which allows me to shoot any way I want, for my stated usage, without needing to be an expert or well versed videographer. I found the picture from the VX2000 to be superior to that of the TRV950 for the casual shooting that I was going to be doing, and a better machine for me.
This is the last time I will be discussing, in this thread, the use of the TRV950 I tried, and the VX2000 system I now have, unless someone E-mails me privately to ask about purchasing my complete VX2000 system.
Steven Forrest
Steven Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2003, 01:51 AM   #17
Regular Crew

pdx-10

I like my new little brick camera. It makes, if properly exposed, nice widescreen images and I haven't seen any radical smear with it. I'd better test the one I have that's still in the box. If widescreen is your thing I'd say go. My pd-150 is preferrable in 4:3 mode and nicer to handle. I'm tired of using anamorphic adapters. The manufacturers need to just make widescreen chips or good combo chips and hasten the introduction of widescreen sd and hd programming to everyone's benefit. I would suggest to the companies it's not always to follow the consumers lowest common denominator but to take the lead and give them what they need in a palatable package for the greater good of the industry and creative production as a whole.
M. Raine Lillibridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2003, 02:01 AM   #18
Regular Crew

pd-150/pdx-10

didn't do a very good job for you there. In concise terms I would say the audio, lens(small but sharp) widescreen mode and small, unobtrusive form factor is the main up to the 10.
the 150 has internal nd filters, more image control (separate iris/gain settings) etc. and a much more pleasant, ergonomic workability to it's layout.
con for the 150, bad audio noise floor (even on the post fix units) noisy, noisy. I'm a composer and audio pro as well and this really bugs me about what is otherwise a real piece of work. If the 150 had native 16:9 forget about it. Something about the anamorphic adapters hanging off the front just doesn't turn my crank when I see the results blown up big. I do like the added ballast though. Make us a ballast accessory for each camera on the market so we don't need to make our own. Filmlook=heavy, steady, go. Make the camera heavier then use a heavier tripod. Trick the camera with filters there's the best film look I've been able to get. You can even strap dumbells onto the top of the tripod or sand bags over the legs. this eclipsed concise, my bad
Old February 25th, 2003, 08:07 PM   #19
Regular Crew

so you are saying the best is the PDX10 and not the PD150? Have you had any issues with low light? I'm very interested on whether you could comment more about the audio XLR inputs and the quality of the audio on the X10 because I get the impression that you are like me in that you want pro-quality audio.

Thanks!
Old February 26th, 2003, 11:39 AM   #20
Regular Crew

pdx-10/pd-150

I would say that the audio is much better through the xlr inputs on the 10. The 150 is noisy. I believe it actually records at 32khz and does a sample rate conversion internally. Can't be good. I'd be interested if anybody could confirm this but it seems that the 10 has an updated audio circuit, new a/d's maybe even truly recording at 48k.
For overall video performance the pd-150 is a better camera in 4:3. When you have a desire to shoot in widescreen that is where the pdx-10 excels. It really makes a nice image unless you're shooting a streetlight or something very bright in pitch black. I have been able to create the lens flare under circumstances similiar to what others described. I've not yet had any difficulty shooting what I wanted with this problem. The pd-150 performs under the same conditions markedly better.
Low light: the pd-150 is better of course but I haven't had difficulty shooting with the 10 even with just a couple lamps in a room. The gain comes up in some circumstances. You can only get rid of it by lighting your interior shots.
The other question for you is just the form factor which do you like to use more and what is your goal, what type of shooting. For some things bigger heavier, better controls is really good. For some types of shoots the smaller and more inconspicuous you can be is crucial to creating the intimacy you may be after. Cheers.
Old February 26th, 2003, 11:45 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I forgot something. I have a pal pdx-10 that is new in the box that I bought in Singapore. I bought two of them thinking to sell my pd-150 and have two matched cameras. I decided to keep my fully rigged pd-150 and get rid of one of the pdx-10's. If you don't want to buy from me than I can direct you to a good dealer in Singapore.
Old March 7th, 2003, 12:21 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Mind if I ask where you bought in Singapore? I have a buddy that lives there and is coming to visit next month. I assume they also have ntsc version of the pdx10? What kind of pricing?

Michael
Houston, TX
Michael Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 11:44 PM   #23
Regular Crew

pdx-10

i think they may only have pal. It's 'video pro' in sim lim plaza. Some things they have ntsc for people that shoot international news. CNN wants NTSC. I paid around 2,340 but also had shipping and am waiting for the customs tab. Your friend could conceivably carry it undeclared if it is out of the box. Just send the box with random detritus. That is if the NTSC is available.
Old March 8th, 2003, 08:34 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Thanks

OK, thanks for the reply. I see that B&H has reduced the price to $1999, so that's probably my best option. I appreciate the reply.

Michael
Michael Middleton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion