vhs to minidv via the pdx10? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old August 10th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #1
Major Player

vhs to minidv via the pdx10?

I'm away from my gear right now, otherwise I would just experiment. unfourtunately, though I need to answer a question for a "client". I need to move some vhs stuff into my nle. Can I link the PDX10 to a vcr with the RCA cables and record (MINidv) onto the pdx10?

TIA
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #2
Major Player

If the tape is not copyrighted material, yes.

If it is copyrighted, then "maybe". The PDX10 is professional enough to have DVCAM capabilities. Maybe it is professional enough for SONY to have excluded the necessary copyright protection circuitry. Many professional decks and cameras waive Macrovision because they feel you will be professional enough to call for permission to use copyrighted material.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 01:54 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks

No copyright issues, it is not quite home video, but close.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 06:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Michael,
I copy tapes I did in the past in that manner. Works fine.
Chris Thiele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 09:09 AM   #5
Trustee

Related...

This past few weeks I was laying some DVD footage into my Avid via DVD analog into my DSR-11 and out 1394 into the Avid. Captured everything just fine but on the final output back to tape, the output back to the DSR-11 would die while I wasn't watching it play out. It's 1 hr 45 minutes of old scary movie clips, etc set to Halloween music. Before anyone asks, all my own DVDs and music, for a family function only...

So I started the output to tape and was walking away as it was so long. It kept dying at the same point each time. So the next time I watched as it rolled over that spot. It seems the Avid will not let me lay back to tape things with certain copy protections. The clip that killed it you ask? Believe it or not, it was the "House of 1000 Corpses" trailer. NOT the clips from the actual DVD film mind you, just the trailer.

Very odd. Cut that from the tape version but it rendered out fine as a QT Ref file and went to DVD without further issues.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion