AUTO FOCUS can be your friend. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old December 11th, 2005, 04:36 PM   #1
Major Player

AUTO FOCUS can be your friend.

On my HC1000s I can zoom in on something to set focus and then switch to auto focus on the side of the camera. As soon as it comes into focus, I switch it back to manual, then zoom out. Beats messing around with the dial, when your in a hurry.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2005, 08:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The same goes for auto iris, using that feature momentarily to quickly set an exposure, as long as the highlights aren't blown out.

What's objectionable is when it stays on "auto" and the exposure and/or focus keeps shifting everytime something changes in the scene.
Old December 12th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #3
Trustee

I have never seen this but I am thinking a really cool idea might be a way to set a bracketed exposure. Do the auto exposure thing and that becomes a central exposure setting. Then, you could set it for -1/+1 and it could vary but only as much as your setting of 1 stop over or 1 stop below. That would keep it from swinging to widely.

Just an idea.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 10:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
I have never seen this but I am thinking a really cool idea might be a way to set a bracketed exposure. Do the auto exposure thing and that becomes a central exposure setting. Then, you could set it for -1/+1 and it could vary but only as much as your setting of 1 stop over or 1 stop below. That would keep it from swinging to widely.

Just an idea.

Sean

AE Shift? I've got that. It lets you limit your Auto Exposure by -4 to +4 stops. At least I believe it is in stops. I will have to test it buy changing it while I record and then look at the DATA CODE on the recorded video. I don't use this function because I thought it would force the iris open even further than the "exposure bar's" limit but it doesn't get any brighter once it hits its limit.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #5
Major Player

Actually Steve i have got a suspicion that it's half-stops and not stops.

Certainly in manual exposure mode, each step on the exposure bar is half a stop, not one stop.

It *may* be that the AE SHIFT is similarly calibrated in half-stops. I'll have to check that though.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion