Sony TRV8, 9 and 10 analog recording? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old January 7th, 2003, 08:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony TRV8, 9 and 10 analog recording?

Does anyone know if the Sony TRV8, TRV9 or TRV10 are capable of analog recording?

I'd like to get myself a cheaper 1 chip DV camera to play back my old DV tapes (as I currently don't have a camera) but I'd also like for it to be able to transfer stuff from my old VHS tapes and Video 8 tapes.
Old January 9th, 2003, 07:58 AM   #2
Warden

Hi Mike,

I believe these are Digital 8 camcorders. To the best of my knowledge they only record in a Digital fashion and do not record an analog video signal. Many people use the Digital 8 cameras as a means of getting the analog signal into their computers for archiving on DVD, or for editing and recording back on to Digital 8.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 08:02 AM   #3
Major Player

No all three of them are miniDV cameras.
As is the TRV11, TRV18, TRV 25 and TRV50.

But the three I listed first are older models. The TRV9 being the oldest of them all. Then being replaced by the TRV8 and 10 whose only major difference is the the TRV 10 has a memory stick slot whereas the TRV8 doesn't.

I know the three chip TRV900 was introduced just slightly after the TRV9 and The TRV900 does do analog recording (as do most D8 cameras) however the TRV8 and 10 came after the 900 so I'm curious if they have analog recording built in.

Granted the 900 is a more expensive camera. But sony seems like they were ahead of the game a long time ago. So if this ability was built into cheaper D8 cameras and the slightly more expensive TRV900 I would think the middle range DV cameras would have it as well. But I'm not sure.

A buddy of mine has the TRV9 and I'm going to test analog recording with his pretty soon. But as I said it is the oldest of the three I first mentioned so if it doesn't have it I'm still curious if the 8 and 10 do being slightly newer.
Old January 9th, 2003, 08:26 AM   #4
Warden

You may have to do some digging. Here are two places you can download Sony instruction manuals in PDf format.

http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/...20Query_1.html

http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/...20Query_1.html

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion