Newbie 16:9 Question (fcp w/ pdx10) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old March 20th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #1
Tourist

Newbie 16:9 Question (fcp w/ pdx10)

i've been reading and learning about the pdx10's widescreen...and if i'm correct, it retains it's resolution in 16:9 mode, instead of blowing up the image horizontally or chopping it vertically.

so if this is true, what i'm wondering is this: could i shoot and edit in 16:9 mode, and then before output, use the "Aspect Ratio" slider in the "Distort" menu of the the "Motion" tab to shrink the video vertically (-33.3%) to correct the aspect ratio, and therefore shrinking the vertical pixels and creating a sharper-higher-quality image? does this make any sense?
Jonathan Downs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 03:58 PM   #2
Major Player

You don't want to do that...

If your final destination is DVD, the DVD player will automatically squash the 16X9 video for display on 4:3 sets...giving you the "increase in vertical sharpness" you are talking about.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #3
Tourist

ahhh...so the dvd player does the aspect ratio correction by itself. i get it now...so if the dvd is viewed on a 16:9 television, it will fill the frame...but if it's viewed on a normal 4:3, it will be automatically be squished down and be letterboxed. i get it.

thanks for the response.
Jonathan Downs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:13 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Worth doing a test using your camera settings, using your editing programme, using your DVD authoring set-up, your DVD burner, playing it in your DVD player into yout TV. Nothing like testing before the big day.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Chu
If your final destination is DVD, the DVD player will automatically squash the 16X9 video for display on 4:3 sets...giving you the "increase in vertical sharpness" you are talking about.
Almost, but DVD players should give two options for 16x9 material on a 4:3 display. One is as above ("letterbox"), but the other fills the entire 4:3 frame of the display with the centre of the widescreen image - this is known as "centre cut". In practice letterboxing will lose resolution, not increase it - the DVD player will reduce the 576 (480 for NTSC) lines vertically down to 432 (360) - then add 144 (120) lines of black to regain the standard PAL (NTSC) signal.

Much material is now produced 16:9, but 4:3 safe - nothing vital, especially captions, graphics etc, happens outside the centre 4:3 area of the frame.
David Heath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion