Matte Box for PDX10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old May 20th, 2003, 06:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Matte Box for PDX10

Does anyone make a Matte box for the PDX10 that I can use a W/A converter with as well as have the option to add a french flag and eyebrows to it? I checked out Tiffen's site and didnt really see anything. I am not so concerned about the ability to use 4x4 glass filters I am more concerned about controlling the light hitting my lens.

Thanks
Old May 20th, 2003, 07:23 PM   #2
Wrangler

I'm sure you can spend plenty of money on a mattebox from a variety of places like Crosziel, Tiffen or Cavision. I use a .45x wide adaptor on my PDX-10, and the large "wide lens hood" that came with the camera works great. You have to put the lens hood on before screwing in the adaptor, but I don't get any vignetting in the shot.

If you do get a mattebox, would like to hear your impressions.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 08:25 PM   #3
Major Player

I have pasted a link to an ended auction on an interesting bellows/compendium matte box with rails

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=2923567067

It is the SK8 made by EWA, a German company which supported Super 8 cameras, I believe the hole at the camera end is to a max of 65mm

Looks like a useful bit of kit and at a good price!

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 06:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I was looking at the Cavision 4x4 Rod system and I wonder if the plate they have will work with the PDX10....I rent a PD150 from time to time when I need a little better low light performance so having the ability to switch back and forth would be pretty cool. With the .45 or .55 W/A adapter the 4x4 matte box should have no problem attaching to the front of the PDx10 like I said I am just concerned about the mounting plate for the rod system.

The more I think about it I like the idea of moving to 4x4 filters....Albeit there more expensive than the good ol 37mm attach ments but on the other hand I would have an ultimate upgrade option for my filters...Instead of being concerned about re-investing in new filters everytime I buy a different camcorder....So I guess if you think about it the intiatial investment is high but in the long run it works out,,,Well as long as I dont break them!!
Old June 3rd, 2003, 11:41 PM   #5
New Boot

"Does anyone make a Matte box for the PDX10 that I can use a W/A converter with as well as have the option to add a french flag and eyebrows to it?"

I don't know if this is a solution but ..it is free
http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Professiona...pdx10hood.html
Viethai Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2003, 06:35 PM   #6
Wrangler

Actually that's a hood for the LCD screen, not a mattebox. BTW, mine came a couple weeks ago but I've been too busy to play with it. It's made by Petrol.

Now I'll admit that I was never any good at origami or folding maps, but it seemed like a real challenge to figure out how to put that thing together! There were no instructions or photos of any sort. Just a flat piece of plastic with some velcro tabs and a strange flat nylon thing with elastic and snaps.

Finally I resorted to looking at B&H's website where there were pictures of them fully assembled. It really wasn't hard, just not too obvious (to me at least).

It was shipped in a plain, unmarked cardboard box, and stuffed with packing peanuts. Seemed like real overkill for something that isn't at all fragile. But regardless, it looks pretty cool and best of all... it was "free". :-)
Old June 4th, 2003, 08:22 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I checked out the rod system and it is compatible with the PDX10...So I will be ordering it in a few days. I will let everyone know how it works out and if its worth the $500 bucks
Old June 4th, 2003, 10:29 PM   #8
New Boot

I thought it was a lcd hoot at first and could not put together like the picture shown in Sony Web Site.
Then I just fold those 2 piece along, tied it up and here :
http://pbase.com/viethai
It is a perfect" mattchood"
Viethai Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2003, 08:31 AM   #9
Wrangler

Very clever. Seems a little wobbly though... would be afraid it might tip into the frame...
Old June 13th, 2003, 10:05 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Well I got my matte box. I must say that its a solid piece of gear...It was cloudy and overcasted today( another day in Rochester) so I didnt get to test it in sunlight.I will post once I get test it fully. If someone has a little web space to spare I would send them the comparison pics I will have once I am done. I currently dont have a web site up and running. I should have the review done in a week or so. I have a wedding this weekend and i am working on a small tv spot so I am a bit short on time.
Old June 13th, 2003, 10:30 PM   #11
Trustee

Scott
Did you get the hard shade or the bellows? I'll be working in the Vancouver area next week and plan on stopping by Cavision. The rod system I priced out was $650 US. 4x4 bellows, adapters for the Wide Angle and prime lens, french flag and rod system. The hard shade was $20 cheaper.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 07:17 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Yep I bought the Hard Shade, Rod System, French Flag, And the pistol grips. Its was $795 with shipping. Those pistols are expensive $190 for the set.
Old June 28th, 2003, 04:38 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Osborne : Well I got my matte box. I must say that its a solid piece of gear...It was cloudy and overcasted today( another day in Rochester) so I didnt get to test it in sunlight.I will post once I get test it fully. If someone has a little web space to spare I would send them the comparison pics I will have once I am done. I currently dont have a web site up and running. I should have the review done in a week or so. I have a wedding this weekend and i am working on a small tv spot so I am a bit short on time.
Hello Scott,

I have space and bandwidth for pics and clips. I will be buying the DVX100 pretty soon and my son is getting the PDX10. I had already decided to go with Cavision 4x4 Matte Box w/rods for the DVX100, so I would also love to see it on the PDX10.

Let me know if you need the space.

-Rodger
Old June 29th, 2003, 07:28 AM   #14
New Boot

oooh, yes.

Hey, Scott. I can second that! Can you post a pic of the PDX10 with the 4x4 Cavision setup on it? I've been thinking about this matte box but thought the 3x3 would be a better fit for this cam (though 3x3 filters seem to be a little harder to get than the 4x4s) Did you have any issues attaching the 4x4 matte box to the PDX10? Does it get in the way of the shotgun mic?

thanks
Blip Pio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2003, 11:22 AM   #15
Major Player

I cheated and got a matte box from an old Bolex. It was never used and still in its original box... i just got a step down ring for it, and it screwed right into my lens mount..

It is very light, retractable... IS BIG, and can take stuff stuck to it like flags.

I don't use filters nor a w/a adapter so it is no problem for me.

Ohh by the way did i mention it cost me $40.

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion