Where to send Vx2000 for head replacement? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old July 30th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Where to send Vx2000 for head replacement?

Hi,

My Vx2000 is starting to show the audio dropout issue combined with the block of pixels moving across the image. Ran cleaning tape but I know that the heads need to be replaced. I did a search and most people send it to Sony but the price is out there. I remember in the past I read about some other great places but can't find the threads.

The only guy I found is Dadu:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Repair-SONY-VX10...QQcmdZViewItem

He wants $370 and he ships it back insured ground.

His description is a bit odd as it says local pickup but then he ships it back.
I wonder if this is on the level.

Thanks.

Last edited by Alex Amira; July 31st, 2007 at 05:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Alex Amira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Maybe you are thinking of Armatos.

http://www.armatosvideo.com/
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 05:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Zlamany View Post
Maybe you are thinking of Armatos.

http://www.armatosvideo.com/

Thanks Richard. Armatos was one of the ones I was looking for. I sent them an e-mail to get a price quote.
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:10 AM   #4
Inner Circle

it's my understanding they will only give you an estimate on the camera AFTER they have looked at it. Then you decide to GO or NO GO on the repair. While I don't like that it's fair - they're the repair guys and can figure out exactly whats wrong while WE think it's this or that they know it's something else. Perhaps they've changed their policy but as of late last year that's what they told me on the phone.

I sent one of my cameras to Sony-1450 hours and the heads nneded to be replaced.
They did that, replaced the ON/OFF switch and the menu wheel (the cam is old and gets lots of use) and shipped it back to me for the flat rate of $575.00. Now while it may seem a lot FIRST I kbnow it's going to get done right (at least believe so since they made the camera) and 2nd, I know EXACTLY how much it's going to cost up front. OH yeah, I had the camera back in my hands in 7 business days. I think thats pretty good.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:17 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Don. If that is the case I may try to find someone else. I remember the going price was about $300-400 for the heads and $800 if Sony did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
it's my understanding they will only give you an estimate on the camera AFTER they have looked at it. Then you decide to GO or NO GO on the repair. While I don't like that it's fair - they're the repair guys and can figure out exactly whats wrong while WE think it's this or that they know it's something else. Perhaps they've changed their policy but as of late last year that's what they told me on the phone.

I sent one of my cameras to Sony-1450 hours and the heads nneded to be replaced.
They did that, replaced the ON/OFF switch and the menu wheel (the cam is old and gets lots of use) and shipped it back to me for the flat rate of $575.00. Now while it may seem a lot FIRST I kbnow it's going to get done right (at least believe so since they made the camera) and 2nd, I know EXACTLY how much it's going to cost up front. OH yeah, I had the camera back in my hands in 7 business days. I think thats pretty good.

Don
Old July 31st, 2007, 10:59 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I was thinking at $600 would I not be better off to get a firestore instead of fixing the video heads?
Old July 31st, 2007, 01:01 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Perhaps but personally I don't trust the firestores. I've heard too many horror stories about it stopping in the middle of a shoot or some other such problem, but then I'm kind of old fashioned. Plus there may be times when tape is the proper medium. For example, shooting some sort of corporate gig where the client wants the tapes not an edited product.

If it were me I would get the camera fixed and then if you wanted the FS you still have the ability to back up to tape.

Just my opinion but it's your money and your gear. ;-)

Don
Old July 31st, 2007, 07:17 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
Perhaps but personally I don't trust the firestores. I've heard too many horror stories about it stopping in the middle of a shoot or some other such problem, but then I'm kind of old fashioned. Plus there may be times when tape is the proper medium. For example, shooting some sort of corporate gig where the client wants the tapes not an edited product.

If it were me I would get the camera fixed and then if you wanted the FS you still have the ability to back up to tape.

Just my opinion but it's your money and your gear. ;-)

Don
Makes sense. I will go with the head replacement. Still waiting to hear back from Armatos. I will give them a call tomorrow.
Old July 31st, 2007, 10:38 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Just got my PD-170 back from Armato's today. Just the headphone jack. $280. I think they're great. Absolutely nice honest folks who stand behind and in front of their work.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:46 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Just got my PD-170 back from Armato's today. Just the headphone jack. $280. I think they're great. Absolutely nice honest folks who stand behind and in front of their work.
Good to hear it.

I got their phone number and will cal them today.

Did you take yours there in person or ship it?

Last edited by Alex Amira; August 1st, 2007 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Additional Info
Old August 1st, 2007, 08:46 AM   #11
Inner Circle

In my case I brought it in person. I live about 2 miles from them. I've used their services before so I can attest to their repeated good service. Absolutely the most upright service people I've ever had to deal with. Although I haven't bought equipment from them, they even have a policy that if you buy from them and your gear takes more than 48 hours to repair, they'll give you a loaners. That's even if the unit is out of warranty and that policy is free. In one case, they were willing to offer me something since the repair was over 48 hours and I had a shoot (even though I hadn't bought the camera from them). They rushed the repair for me. They'll do that and there's no rush charge. Amazing that a business is built around good service in this day and age!
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Amazing that a business is built around good service in this day and age!
That's why they keep getting referrals from their customers and attract business from far and wide. What's amazing is that more shops don't figure out that this is the formula for success.

Last edited by J. Stephen McDonald; August 7th, 2007 at 07:27 AM.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #13
Major Player

I may buy from Armatos next time, since having a loaner is a huge advantage that I wish I had right now as my pd170 sits in a Sony repair center.

Last edited by Richard Zlamany; August 6th, 2007 at 03:36 PM.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #14
Inner Circle

How long has it been there (at Sony)

I very recently sent in a PD150 well out of warranty, had the heads and transport replaced, the on/off switch and the menu wheel replaced, they tightened up the LCD and I had the camera 8 days after I sent it in. Granted I sent it 2 day UPS but I still had it back 8 days later. Probably spent a bit more than Armatos but it was a flat fee and the yfixed 2 things I didn't even tell them to fix for the same cost. Honestly I had great luck with both Sony and JVC repair facilities.

Don

Last edited by Don Bloom; August 6th, 2007 at 03:29 PM. Reason: speeling error
Old August 6th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #15
Major Player

I drove out there and dropped it off a week ago.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion