Need suggestions for mic & light on 2100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 19th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need suggestions for mic & light on 2100

Good morning,

I have been reading through a lot of posts on this board and can not seem to find any that cover both mic and light set ups for the VX2100. I currently use the built in mic and a dimmable cool-lux on cam light with a battery belt. We feel that we need to upgrade to a better mic to help us capture the voices and sounds of our talent. We also have a lot of times where we need an on camera light for close up work (we shoot adult content so the on cam light is not affected by the issue of glare in the performers eyes).

I am looking for a set up that will allow us to have the light and battery both on the camera and also a shotgun mic. What is the best way to mount all of these items. Ideally I would like to avoid a wide side mount for either since we need to have maneuverability with the camera ~ I know I am asking for a lot :-)

Are the LED lights a good choice?

Thanks!

Bill
William Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #2
Major Player

Adult content?

Whatever that means, it shouldn't be any different than any other type of shooting. Check out the "Now Hear This" and "Photon Management" threads for audio and lighting ideas.

If you're looking for a cheap solution, a Rode Videomic does very well for relatively close audio and plain ol' ordinary shop lights can add ample light.

Jeff
Jeff Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

We use Cool-Lux studio lighting, but some of our shots require close up work in shadowed areas so I want to use an on camera light for that. I have tried the Cool-Lux dimmable with a belt mounted battery, but i would rather have a light with the battery attached to prevent the cord running to the battery belt. I also got the Sony 10/20, but this light is more spotlight and does not have adequate diffusion.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
William Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #4
Fred Retread

There's a lot to choose from in B&H's online catalog. Start here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/catego..._Lighting.html

To narrow it down more quickly you might give them a call. They're very knowledgeable.

When you're not aiming at the talents' faces, a camera mounted shotgun starts working against you rather than for you. A properly placed off camera mic of any type would be better. Any of them can be made wireless.
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:17 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Sony do a very handy 20-DW2 video light that runs off the same NPF batteries that your VX uses. It's 10 w or 20 w. I have one, and diffuse it with a Lumiquest Mini Softbox. There's a picture here:

http://www.fortvir.net/gallery2/tom-...X2000.jpg.html
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion