How to shoot interviews? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 24th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to shoot interviews?

Hi all. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question or not, but I'll ask and see where it gets me. I am a novice shooter with a VX2100 and I need to film a couple of interviews in an office setting. When I just point and shoot with the camera, I get this "realness" quality to my images. I don't really want that for interview footage. So how do I soften the image? Is this something I can do while filming or is it something done in post?

Also, do I need to rent a light kit? If so, what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Andrea Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 03:21 AM   #2
New Boot

But maybe you must play with white balance, choose a color card which is with softer color than white.
Kristjan Kruus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 07:23 AM   #3
Inner Circle

much of the 'softness' you want to achieve will come from proper lighting more than how you have the 2100 set. Especially since the settings available to you are somewhat limited. HOWEVER, it can be done at shooting and perhaps a bit of help in post production. First let me offer this. DO NOT TRY TO SET YOUR LOOK VIA THE LCD ON THE CAMERA. I know it's bad ettiquite to use caps like that but I want to drive home the point. The LCD is NOT the place to judge color or exposure. Use a properly calibrated production monitor or at the very least a small TV that is set to the proper contrast and birghtness. You will see a hugh difference between the camera LCD and the production montior or even a decent TV. You will accomplish more with how you light the subject and of course how you set the camera-IE exposure, iris and shutter speed than you will in post but good post work might help you out.
I agree you can use a warm card or even a cool card to fool the WB of the camera which might help you get the look you want. You might even use one of the ND filter to help with getting the right exposure to shorten the DoF, don't forget moving the camera in closer or out farther can help with that as well.
I think for you in this case it's a matter of either 'playing' to get the look you want OR shoot it straight and try to "fix it in post" (ugh, I HATE that).

Good Luck,
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #4
Major Player

Maybe you should increase your DOF so your subject is distinct from the backround. It makes a soft backround for your subject.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #5
Major Player

A Schneider 1/2 black frost filter might help tone down the detail in the subject. http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...D=428&IID=2331
Jim Michael is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion