DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   VideoMic and 2100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/102383-videomic-2100-a.html)

Jeff Harper August 28th, 2007 08:14 PM

VideoMic and 2100

I installed a Rode VideoMic on my 2100 and have discovered that while shooting receptions and in other loud environments the auto gain cannot compensate...audio completely distorted...the mic is too sensitive for the auto gain mechanism to deal with.

The mic is perfect for interviews, etc., and I have taken to disconnecting the mic at the party, and re-connecting for interviews, which is a pain.

How do you guys run your add-on mics? Do you run audio in manual gain control and adjust as you need? This is a bit of a bummer, as if I don't have enough to deal with at a wedding than to have to mess with audio levels.

thanks in advance for any tips you might have.

BTW...If you run with headphones, which I cannot even imagine doing at a reception, is there a best style or type to use?

Adam Gold August 29th, 2007 04:04 PM

How old is your VideoMic? If it's newer it will have attenuate controls inside the battery compartment. Undocumented as yet.

Jeff Harper August 29th, 2007 04:37 PM

I found the controls Andrew, thanks! I don't know if it the solution I'm looking for...but it is something. If the controls were quicker to access they would be much more useful.

Allan Black August 29th, 2007 04:47 PM

I know the RODE folk here in Sydney. Those dip switches couldn't be located on the outside of the mic body without a major redesign. And they're a set and forget rig anyway, most folk set them to -10db for general use. You shouldn't run cam audio on auto, manual is the go to stop pumping.

Don't switch the VMs power on/off between takes, only when you put it away for the day. A few batteries are way cheaper than replacing the switch.

Jeff Harper August 29th, 2007 09:50 PM

Thanks, Allan

Ron Anderson August 30th, 2007 03:15 PM

Too Hot To Handle

The audio from my VM on my 2100 is so hot that the audio is essentially unusable. It picks up every movement I make with the camera to include the zoom motor and a constant hum. I bought it earlier this year from B&H and as you would expect, it does not have the new switches. What a bummer!

Ron

Jeff Harper August 30th, 2007 06:18 PM

It is amazing for wedding ceremonies and interviews, I find, as long as I don't touch the cam. It doesn't take the place of the wireless I run on my second cam (PD170), but it is great in those instances.

I researched the crap out of mics on this forum and other places, and I never heard a word about this issue.

I'm going to have to continue to unhook it most of the time during receptions, and re-hook it for interviews outdoors., and when I have time I am going to look into other mics. It's a shame it doesn't have external controls, though I don't know if any others do...

Ron Anderson August 30th, 2007 09:03 PM

What recording levels do you guys use when you use the Rhode VM?

Jeff Harper August 30th, 2007 09:13 PM

Auto gain, but I suppose I need to go manual...

Steve Wolla September 3rd, 2007 02:37 AM

You need to set your audio levels manually.

Jeff Harper September 3rd, 2007 02:45 AM

Would you care to offer any tips or guidelines on doing so?