ND filter question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old October 11th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #1
New Boot

ND filter question

I am just a beginner in shooting fully manual,i am using the vx2100 and the other night i filmed a band down in the front of the stage and i had the shutter locked at 60,and changed the aperture as i saw needed.For example the singer was in a hot spot so when filming him i had 0 gain and usually (from memory...maybe this is an incorrect f stop) but i beleive was 5.6.And the other members where in the range of f2 and f4.

My question mainly is should i go to the ND filters first ? Why and or why not?

And does the vx warn you to use ND in manual mode as i have not seen it yet,only saw it call for them in auto mode.
Jim Sobolewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 05:40 AM   #2
Major Player

the PD150 does... not sure about vx series. it will tell you with a blinking indicator which neutral density filter to be on, or if it needs one at all.
Carlos Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Jim, the VX and PD cameras are exactly the same as regards chips and lens. The ND filters are there to soak the light just as a pair of dark glasses does. So if you're outside and the camera's iris reaches f/9.5 the silent scream will appear telling you to switch in ND1. If the aperture wants to go smaller than f/11 'ND2' will appear.

When you see the warnings it's time to act, as small apertures degrade picture quality noticeably, especially with small chips and short focal lengths. It's actually better to anticipate the silent scream and insert ND1 when the camera's shooting at f/8. If you can choose a combination of internal ND filtration to shoot at f/4, so much the better.

And have you tried the VX2k1's 'spotlight' mode? In the case you describe you may find it's just what you need as it's a very intelligent mode (unlike the 'backlight' mode). Of course locking the iris for the highlights is the way to go, but in fast-changing lighting conditions that may mean you're sacrificing composure for exposure.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 03:23 AM   #4
Inner Circle

In manual mode you still get a v'finder display of whether you've got ND1 or ND2 engaged, but as Kevin says, you don't get the auto recommendation appear.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion