DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   used VX2000 question? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/107921-used-vx2000-question.html)

Brendan Donohue November 14th, 2007 12:07 AM

used VX2000 question?

hey all,
I've got a guy who's selling a VX2000 with about 250 hrs. on it for $850 and he claims its in great condition (haven't seen it yet). Considering that I've seen VX2000's that are in fair to rough shape selling for $1000+ on ebay, I'd consider this a steal, but I am not very familiar with these cameras. Does this sound like a good deal? Any suggestions of what to look for when buying a used vx2000 would be greatly appreciated!

thanx
~brendan

Don Bloom November 14th, 2007 06:38 AM

Do you know the guy? How does he know the hours on the camera? There is no way to check the hours unless you send it to Sony, there's no menu item to check like the PD or DSR series.
I'm always a bit skeptical about theses deals but that's my nature anyway, so IF you can see the camera LOOK at it as if it was the most expensive thing on earth. Check it out for scratches on the glass, damage to the VF or LCD, mars and marks on the body of the camera, grab the top handle and check to see if it's loose, swing the camera gently from side to side and listen to see if you hear any loose parts inside.
I guess I'm saying to use good common sense-then offer him $750.00 ;-)
Hey why not.
If you feel at all uncomfortable with the camera WALK AWAY!
The VX2000 hasn't been in production for about 3 or 4 years so go slow and make sure.
Remember the old saying, if it seems to good to be true, it usually is.
Don

Brendan Donohue November 14th, 2007 08:22 AM

thanks for the response Don,

I don't know the guy who selling the camera except through email conversations, and he assures me it is in excellent shape, inside and out. I guess I should rephrase by saying that he said he has shot about 250 hrs worth of tape, so I'm not sure what that would mean as far as total operation time, drum run, threading, etc... that sux that there's no Hrs. meter on the VX's as with on the PD150/170 and such. I guess the next thing to do is to go check the thing out in person and scrutinize the hell out of it. I'm tempted to bring my laptop and capture some footage from the camera to make sure everything looks alright..no glitches or dead pixels or anything like that. Has anyone ever had an issue with dead/stuck/hot pixels on the ccd's of a vx2000?

thanks again,
~brendan

Matthew Klos November 14th, 2007 09:41 AM

Brendan,
If the individual you are dealing with is a member of this forum, then please disregard my post. This is because I do not want to interfere with any ongoing deal. However, if this is something outside the forum by all means check out the listing that I have for a very lightly used VX-2000.(53 hours use-I know this because I purchased this unit new and have an accurate count of all tapes etc.) It is posted in the classifieds section of this forum. Or you can e-mail me direct.Mattklos11@aol.com. Thank you for your consideration. Matthew Klos.