NR (which channel)? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old June 13th, 2003, 02:21 AM   #1
Major Player

NR (which channel)?

say i want to record sound on my pd150: channel 1- on board mic, channel 2 - wireless mic. do i leave the Noise Reduction ON so that the onboard mic doesn't pick up noise? or do i switch it off so that the channel recording the wireless mic doesn't record that strange metalic buzz which accurs when recording with a remote mic while NR is on?

sort of urgent. going to shoot with the above setup in about an hour.

thanks
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2003, 10:02 AM   #2
Wrangler

You cannot remove the buzz so turn it off.

In a reasonably noisy environment, any noise generated by the camera is masked by the environmental sound. I leave mine off and never have a problem unless the surrounging environment is very quiet.

I've forgotten the switch is there.
Old June 14th, 2003, 11:43 AM   #3
Major Player

thanks. i actually had it on. didn't get your reply in time. but tested before the wedding began and sound seemed fine during playback, so thats how i left it.

when shooting a documentary about 3 months ago, i was actually directing and not operating the camera, the camera guy had noise reduction ON. sound was recorded with a boom microphone, connected to the pd150 through a mixer. footage of interviews clearly had a slight metalic buzz which would appear when the talker was talking and would fade away a fraction of a second after the speaker stopped.

turned noise reduction OFF and the problem was gone.

but i thought that when using a mic mounted on the camera as primary source of sound, it is better to turn noise recuction ON.
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2003, 01:01 AM   #4
Wrangler

I've modified my PD150 with a CAC-12 microphone mount so maybe that and the more directional microphone from my DSR-300 makes a difference. But I don't get much, if any camera noise from my setup and if I did, it would normally be masked by the environmental noise I encounter in most shoots.

I can only remember hearing the zoom motor noise once in the year + I've owned PD150's. Even when the drum bearings wore out, the sound didn't reach the audio unless I folded the microphone right down next to the tape door.
Old June 24th, 2003, 01:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

What exactly does this noise reduction do? I would guess that it's simply a noise gate. If no one knows, I'll run some experiments and report.
Vince Denali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 10:03 AM   #6
Wrangler

Please test. I turned mine off and will never turn it on again so I haven't played with it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion