Filter advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old June 15th, 2003, 07:37 AM   #1
New Boot

Filter advice

Hi,
I'd like to buy a filter set for my pd 150.
I've found the tiffen dv film kit. What do you think about it ?
Do you think is better to buy also a uv filter and a polarizer filter?
What are you using?

Thanks
Luca Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2003, 07:57 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Luca...I'm not sure what's in the Tiffen DV kit, but first I'd recommend Tiffen filters. The essentials would be a UV filter that stays on permanently to protect the lens and a circular polarizer. After that, it's up to you. A Tiffen Promist filter and/or a Black Diffusion filter would be good choices. And one that's often overlooked but that comes in VERY handy is a Color-Grad ND.6...for balancing out high-contrast shots.
Old June 15th, 2003, 01:11 PM   #3
Outer Circle

I agree with John: UV + Polarizer for sure. Also, I find a strong skylight useful for sunny days, and you don't have to rotate it like with a polarizer---this I find difficult because of my lower res. viewfinder and LCD on my old cams, so finding the correct position for the polarizer is next to impossible. (Wished I had a VX2.)

Regarding other types of filters, such as softening filters, before deciding on one, try to determine what kind of softening look you want. The Zeiss Softars are good, and for something completely different, often used in TV shows and movies, or so I can see, are filters like the Cokin Sunsoft and 81B.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion