Pd-150 Audio Dropouts Repaired at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old June 18th, 2003, 11:01 AM   #1
New Boot

Pd-150 Audio Dropouts Repaired

This is an overdue follow-up note to my problems of a month and a half ago.
This site and message board was so helpful and I am extending my deepest thanks to GARRETT AMBROSIO and MIKE REHMUS for their speedy and informative responses to my problems.
I had just bought a SONY PD0150 second-hand and was experiencing intermittent audio dropouts. After trying lots of different experimenting, switching from DVCAM to mini-DV, 32K and 48K audio, I couldn't permenently and safely escape the problem.
These two guys sent me the Sony website address for repairs and called the Sony Service Center to find out how much repairs were. That's incredible help for someone they only know from these notes.
I followed their directions, extremely discouraged.
I also have a TRV 900 and repairs on that were $250+ and took 4-6 weeks to get back.
Repairs for the PD-150 were $550. BUT - they promised repairs in 7-12 business days. I had a number I could call and check on status. And they Fed Exed overnight the camcorder back to me. I shipped it out 2-day UPS on a Thursday. Sony Service Center in Georgia got it on Monday. By Thursday it was fixed. I got the camera back on a Tuesday, 12 days later. Did tests all afternoon. Camera worked perfectly on every test. I was shooting with it on Wednesday.
I was right in the middle of a documentary and these guys really saved me.
Thanks a thousand times to Garrett, Mike and DV Info Net!
Old June 18th, 2003, 01:40 PM   #2
Wrangler

You are welcome.

What was the cause of the problem?
Old June 18th, 2003, 03:08 PM   #3
New Boot

NEW CHASIS

The repairs said they replaced the "chasis". That sounds pretty serious, but I have no idea.
Thanks again!
MIKE
Old June 18th, 2003, 07:55 PM   #4
Wrangler

You got a new tape transport. The heads were worn out. Do you remember the head hours on the camera before you sent it in?

Did they reset the hours in any way?
Old June 19th, 2003, 02:39 PM   #5
Major Player

You're welcome as well. $550 for new heads? That sounds cheap. I'm glad you are happy again, but if you can tell us the head hours before replacement, let us know it will be valuable to all of us.
Old June 19th, 2003, 04:50 PM   #6
Wrangler

Garrett, please send me an email. I've lost your address and you have blocked emails from this forum.
Old June 19th, 2003, 05:05 PM   #7
Major Player

I just sent it to you.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion