should I say anything? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old January 15th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

should I say anything?

I'm taking a class on video production in a local community college. We are using Sony VX 2100s. The instructor has advised each of us to purchase our own mini-dv tapes.he did not specify brand or type. from what I understand if you go from a wet based lubricants to a dry one, it can cause the heads to clog? How big a deal is this and should I point this out?
Old January 15th, 2008, 02:09 AM   #2
Wrangler

I would think the correct way to go about this is to ask the instructor if the school has a brand preference of the tapes going into their cameras. You don't have to tell them why you are asking.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 03:39 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Kris this was indeed a problem (and a big one) 10 years or so ago, but things have settled down a lot. Of course I was caught in the early days and had to have tape path cleans, but these days I'm far less worried.

Even so, hand on heart I only run Sony tapes through my Sony camcorders. My DSR-11 on the other hand gets fed everything and anything - JVC, Maxell, TDK, Panasonic, Sony etc - and has been perfectly happy these last 3 years.

In your shoes (as I often am) I'd tell to students to choose a brand and stick to it.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #4
Wrangler

I ran the technical end of the Cinema classes and the television studio at the local community college. My rule on tapes was:

1- No rental tapes in any deck in the studio or Post rooms.
2- Nothing but Sony tapes in the digital equipment.
3- Sony VHS/S-VHS tapes only in the studio decks.

Violation of a rule would automatically remove their use priviledges.

Sounds draconian but I didn't waste much time cleaning tape equipment and we never had a tape-related problem with the digital equipment. Almost all of the equipment was available at all time for instruction. Some of the VX-1000's were from the really early days of DV and a few are still going strong.

Would I enforce those rules today? Yes. A conservative aproach with delicate equipment, especially in these days of low to no equipment budget schools, it still makes sense.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion