When it calls for the ND, obey. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old June 30th, 2003, 01:30 AM   #1
Inner Circle

When it calls for the ND, obey.

I've just lost a shot, and it looks to have been a nice one too.
I'm one who has the auto shutter set to Off in the menu, believing that I'm in charge and I know better. But in the very bright sunlight of last Saturday I failed to notice (even using a Hoodman) the silent scream for "ND2".

Result? The camera had kept its word and filmed at 1/50th sec. It's also kept it's word and given me the correct exposure, but it's done this by shooting at something like f32. I couldn't at first figure out what I was seeing on my TV screen because the diffraction losses don't give the same softness as a simple miss-focus would give, they're somehow more unacceptable.

So beware. When the camera calls for the ND it really is pleading with you.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2003, 11:19 AM   #2
Wrangler

I think there are several areas where the 'Alarms' the camera raises could have been handled better so they gather more attention from the operator.

I too have been clobbered by ignoring ND off or ND on messages. Fortunately, the camera usually can come up with some sort of image. Not great but usable if that's all you have.
Old June 30th, 2003, 04:20 PM   #3
Major Player

It was the zebra stripes, on my VX's, that gave me my first indication of doom. Panic set it, then quickly realized it was time for ND. I was surprised that the VX would require the ND so quickly when moving from indoors to out.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion