Screwed! (aka: the Which Screw Thread? thread at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 25th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Screwed! (aka: the Which Screw Thread? thread

My Sony PD-170 had a little accident on a shoot the other day and fell onto the open LCD screen which duly became detatched from the body. Fortunately the camera was still functional and I was able to get through the multi-camera shoot without too much trouble.

Nervous of a long wait and a huge repair bill, I stripped it down when I got home to see if there was anything I could do to fix it. The wires were still intact but had just become unplugged from the LCD's circuit board (easily fixed) and the only other problem was that the screws holding the screen onto the body (via the tilt/swivel mechanism) had been severed. So I removed the decapitated screws but unfortunately they are a different size to all the others that hold the camera together - otherwise I could have 'borrowed' some from less crucial areas..

Does anyone know how I can find out what size these screws are, or where I can source replacements? Of course these can't be seen when the screen is attached, so I guess it's a case of sourcing a service manual (couldn't find one online) or speaking to Sony (hopeful?). They look like tiny machined screws though and may be quite specific - I don't want to strip the threads.

I'm based in the UK - any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin Willsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #2
Major Player

I think I can help.

Isn't the PD170 LCD the same as the PDX-10?

If so, I have the service manual for the PDX-10 and can look it up for you.

I had to replace part of the LCD display and managed to find a dirt cheap TRV-50 to use for salvage (it has the same display).

I'm familiar with the different size screws. The smaller ones are generally silver in colour.

I bought a bunch of screws directly from Sony - they were cheap. You have to set up an account with them.

Even if the LCD unit isn't the same, the odds are very high that the same screws will work.

I can't access my service manual right now but will try to do so later today.

PS: I grew up in Portsmouth so I really should know better than to help a - well, you know!
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Many thanks indeed John.

I've been in touch with Sony this morning and they kindly sent me a schematic for the LCD but strangely it doesn't show the fittings for the mounting.

It certainly looks the same as the PDX-10 and I wouldn't be surprised if the same fittings were used in a number of models. I've put a piccie up here, just to confirm exactly what I'm on about.

Feel free to PM or contact me through my website (below).

...and...ahem....come on Pompey! ;o)
Attached Thumbnails
Screwed! (aka: the Which Screw Thread? thread-pd170-lcd_mounting_screws.jpg  

Last edited by Colin Willsher; February 25th, 2008 at 08:50 AM. Reason: added sig
Colin Willsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #4
Major Player

Well, I've looked all over the exploded diagrams and the hinge design must be different than the diagram shows. It looks like my PDX-10 as does the diagram for the PD150.

So, I'd recommend buying a couple of each of the standard bolts that are used throughout that part of the assembly. Here are the part numbers, descriptions and costs per unit (in USD):

305312111, BOLT (M2), $1.56
305312141, BOLT (M2), $2.16
398973511, SCREW (M1.7), $1.67

You can create an account at http://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/ which lets you view the schematics etc and order parts. It requires a US address as far as I can tell. I don't know if there is a UK version. But I'm sure the part numbers will be the same!
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Many thanks for your efforts John.

You know, I've a strong suspicion it's the M1.7 I need, as all the other fixings use the same (marginally larger) screw. I'll get back to Sony Europe and see if they can get them to me.
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:37 AM   #6
Inner Circle

If you can't get them through Sony, you might be able to find these at a local hobby shop. Metric screws are common for things like electric helicopters.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:44 PM   #7
Major Player

Try Industrial Fastener Stores

Most cities have specialized fastener stores, usually in the industrial districts, that have just about any type of bolt or screw you could imagine (SAE or metric). If you caused any damage to the threads in the screw holes, you might need to re-tap them to one size larger. A fastener store would have a tapping tool of just the right size and thread-pitch. Be very careful what happens to each little bit of metal that comes out of the threads. Good luck.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion