VX & PD series battery / batteries - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old December 13th, 2002, 03:32 PM   #16
Regular Crew

yeah, Sony's are great.
It's kinda like some people are buying 3rd party products just to save a few extra bucks, "it's not the quality that counts, but the price". I see some cases were that happend.
people get tricked that way....
Marius Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2003, 11:31 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Sony battery charger

I noticed the article on the VX2000 Companion page about the third-party dual battery charger for the VX2000/PD150 (and also fits some other batteries apparently) at $49.95.

Has anybody had any experience with the Sony BCV-615 Portable AC Charger for L Series Lithium-Ion Batteries? B&H has it for $45. I was thinking I would rather go with the BCV-615 unless there's something I don't know...
Old March 21st, 2003, 05:49 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I have one year using the Sony BCV-615 Portable AC Charger without problems....

Federico
Federico Prieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2003, 02:02 PM   #19
Tourist

Advice on Batteries and cases for vx2k

Hi gang,
Just blew most of my savings but finally reached my goal of owning my own brand new vx2k.
But now in order for my fun journeys to begin I will need a decent
carrying case/bag and an extra capacity battery and charger.
Can you please send me some recommendations on both?
And what is the difference between the Sony batteries (other than the expensive part) and the aftermarket ones sold by www.sabahoceanic.com?
Another question regarding the batteries is: Witch one provides a better balance to the camera? The F750 or the F960?
I could realy use the help on this subject ASAP since I'm traveling to Europe on April 16 and need the proper packing and the extra batteries.
BTW, what's the best way, in this times of extra security and strong X-ray machines at airports, to travel with the vx2k?
Thank's all
Old March 24th, 2003, 05:23 PM   #20
Major Player

Batteries. . . bigger is better. You won't be sorry. There are some off-brands available for around $89.00 for the 960's. I got mine from B&H.

As for cases. A lot of us are purchasing alluminum, briefcase style tool boxes, which are padded and divided for photo use. The coimmon one is available at Lowes Home centers and Home Depot centers. They are the "Workforce" toolboxes. You can see them at WWW.Lowes.com. There is another similar box that I recently found at Menard's homecenters that is padded and divided inside, and, has the 2" foam blocks just like many higher priced cases. These may sound like a "Mickey Mouse" setup, but if you check them out you will be surprised at the quality. I have one for each of my VX-2000's, and will get others for some of my accessories. I think someone on this site stated that he owns 7 of them.
Old March 24th, 2003, 05:29 PM   #21
Major Player

Home made battery packs for VX's

Has anyone looked into making battery packs for powering up their vx's?

I manufactured a battery pack for my Minolta Dimage 5 following directions from a site online (results verified by other Dimage users) using gel-cell batteries which are used in emergency lighting units for buildings.

I was wondering if anyone had looked into doing something similar with their camcorders?
Old March 24th, 2003, 05:45 PM   #22
Wrangler

Given the 5 hour run-time with the NP960 batteries, the thought has never crossed my mind. Do you need extraordinary run times?

I have built 'video carts' for use with bigger cameras in the past. Using an automotive battery in the base for camera and light power.

Now, with the advent of the large Lithium Ion batteries for the large cameras, even that has changed. Now I only use the car batteries for powering my two NRG VariLight Pro's.
Old March 24th, 2003, 05:52 PM   #23
Wrangler

My only adventures with non-Sony batteries was bad. Get the 960. It is great to run all day on a single battery (assuming you don't leave the camera on all day.

The metal cases probably will not work since you want to (I assume) carry the camera as cabin baggage. At least most I've seen are over the size limit.

I carry my PD150 all over using the semi-hard case that Sony provides. I believe it comes from Petrol and is rectangular in shape. It carries everything I need to operate the camera except a tripod. Filters, batteries, WA adapter, cables, microphones and charger all fit inside and it meets the size limits for cabin baggage.

Call B&H and talk to them. They can suggest a bag that will work for you.
Old March 24th, 2003, 07:45 PM   #24
Regular Crew

stay with Sony batteries

I agree with Mike about sticking to Sony batteries. I bought one of the aftermarket batteries, and while I have never had an actual problem with it, it only lasts about 70% as long (per recharge) as my Sony batteries of the same size/class. And of course when I bought it, I was told it would last "longer than the actual Sony brand".

It doesn't say what brand it is, but where the Sony batteries say "infoLithium", this one says "infoTech". On the inside it says "For Sony LI-ION Ultra High Power".
Old March 24th, 2003, 09:16 PM   #25
Trustee

You spent more than a few bucks on your gear treat the camera to nice bag. I've tried them all and the portabrace has to be the very best in terms of build and fit. This is just my opinion.

http://www.portabrace.com/asp/ProdDesc.asp?DescCode=CS

The petrol is second and beautifully built. It desn't quite have the room the portabrace does buy it is nice.
http://www.petrolbags.com/cgi-bin/petrolbags/Camera_Bags_Soft_Protection.html?id=VXABUiy2#PDB-1

Stay with Sony batteries. I've heard bad things about off brands.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 01:19 AM   #26
New Boot

porta brace cs-dv3 (b&h usd 169.95) is especially made for vx2k/pr150.
Old March 25th, 2003, 08:40 AM   #27
Wrangler

Regarding the batteries, definitely go with the 960's. They are amazing. I have run for 6 hours with the LCD screen on the whole time and still showed several hours capacity left. I like the balance with the 960 too, especially if I'm using the wide angle adaptor lens.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 09:02 AM   #28
New Boot

Sony Batteries

What is the difference between the Sony 950 and the 960. I bought a 950 off of eBay and it seems to last forever too.
Old March 25th, 2003, 02:45 PM   #29
Wrangler

I believe it is just an earlier model. I have a 960 and a 930 (4 years old at least). As long as they say InfoLithium, they will work. Otherwise they will allow the camera to power up whereupon the camera will display the message that it requires InfoLithium and then shut down.
Old March 27th, 2003, 11:38 AM   #30
Major Player

I suspected those NON-Sony's to be crap. Make some deals on eBay. I bought 2 Brand new sealed in the Clam shell Sony NP-F960's for 42.95 each + $6.00 Shipping for both.
Garret Ambrosio is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion