VX & PD series battery / batteries - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old July 17th, 2003, 10:12 PM   #76
Regular Crew

Is 6 hours the maximum the NP-F960 can hold on the PD150?
Thanks,
Lucas
Lucas Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 10:18 PM   #77
Major Player

Nope. That depends on how you use your camcorder. If I use the LCD monitor it will drop to about 5 hours. I think the maximum is 8 to 9 hours with LCD close and in continous recording. So far I only use one battery for the whole wedding. I just use it alternately with my other battery.
Old July 18th, 2003, 03:46 AM   #78
Regular Crew

I purchased 3 npf-750s from ptron. Very good to work with. Nice people. Call them directly and they will ship all of your order together, saving you some money. BTW, all three were $75ish total and work fine.
Jeff Natalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2003, 07:15 AM   #79
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Lucas Hall : Is 6 hours the maximum the NP-F960 can hold on the PD150?-->>>

I have run for 6 hours using the LCD screen the whole time, and the battery still indicated it had several hours left. I have a VX-2000 however and the specs indicate it draws slightly less power. I think it is very dependent on how much you zoom the lens and how often you start, stop or rewind the tape.

Regardless, they are really impressive batteries!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 12:37 AM   #80
Regular Crew

I thought I would give you an update since it's two months to the day since the last post in this thread.

I recived two new genuine Sony batteries yesterday from eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2939737800

and neither of them appear to work. I charged one of them up via a rapid charger and the other via the DVCAM and get the C:04:00 code, which refers to the battery pack not being InfoLithium.

Once again, I'm confident that the charger is okay as the NP-F330 battery pack that came with the camera works okay.

I have a wedding to shoot to Friday and would appreciate your thoughts on the above.

Many thanks,
Neil
Neil McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 10:00 PM   #81
Regular Crew

Neil,
The eBay page shows two different battery markings.

The one in the lower left is what my 960's look like (they have gold lettering on the vertical "infoLITHIUM L" printing.

You may want to try pushing the camcorder reset switch to see if that does anything.

If you have a way to place an electrical load on the new batteries after they have been on the charger, check to see if they still show 7.2 volts. Assuming the "new" batteries are really taking a charge, and you place a 15 ohm, 5 or 10 watt resistor across the round terminals marked + and - , you should still show the 7.2 volts across the resistor. This will give the approximate wattage of 5 watts used by the camera in normal operation. (I'm assuming you are reasonably adept at basic electricity).

I would also check to see that the contact on the camcorder battery compartment sticks out enough to make contact with the flat silver-colored contact marked "C" next to the minus terminal.

Also, make sure the new batteries have the ramp molded into the second center indentation from the top on the back of the battery. This operates the plastic switch in the camera's battery compartment.

If all else fails, I think you will have to use the Sony AC power adapter that came with your camera and rig a long extension cord, or cut the cord from the AC adapter to the camera and rig an 8.4 volt DC battery pack to feed power via the salvaged external adapter plug. (Again, basic electricity knowlege required).

Good Luck.
"Before they are gone forever..."
Ralph Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2003, 01:10 AM   #82
Trustee

Did they come sealed in the bister pack? There is a source that sell batteries that have been stripped out of warranty returns.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 07:40 PM   #83
Regular Crew

Infolithium batteries only with VX-2100!

My new VX-2100 arrived today. Everything was as expected until I plugged one of my 3rd party NP-F960 equivalents into the cam and turned it on. The VX-2100 immediately sensed that it was not a Sony battery and popped up a message to that effect and then shut down. This means that the set of 3rd party batteries that I have been using very successfully with my VX-2000 will not work with the new camera. It upsets me that Sony has elected to force all VX-2100 users to use Sony batteries, especially given the very high prices that they charge for them. An equivalent 3rd party battery is 1/3 the cost of a Sony battery. Anyone know of any workarounds for this issue?
Alan Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2004, 10:08 AM   #84
Major Player

Ouch, that sucks! It's the first I've heard of this. Looks like Sony was busier than we thought when they redid the cam. I don't know of any work around, but FWIW, I bought my Sony NP-F960 off ebay for less than 1/2 price of new. It is original Sony and was brand new in an unopened blister package. I bought another battery from a seller there last yr that WAS opened (but appeared new) and has worked great for me so far.

Mark G
Old January 1st, 2004, 11:06 AM   #85
Major Player

"brand new"? Half price?

Ha, ha, sounds like it came from my cousin Vinny. Must have fallen off the truck. :-)

P.s. Love it though. Keeps going and going and going. One less item to worry about during a busy shoot.
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2004, 11:24 AM   #86
Major Player

Shady business practice Sony.. What audacity! To market a higher priced cam with such measely upgrades and now to force us to strictly use their brand of batteries. This should be cause for boycott.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 09:32 AM   #87
Inner Circle

Cause for boycott? Not so in my book. The Sony info-lithiums are way better than anyone else's bog-standard lithiums, and the 'Info' extra circuitry could well have camera protection built in electronically. If Sony are going to guarantee their products (camera and charger) I think it's fair that the fuel supply to the engine should be under their control as well.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 11:01 AM   #88
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Tom Hardwick : Cause for boycott? and the 'Info' extra circuitry could well have camera protection built in electronically. -->>>

"could well have" ? That doesnt sound like a confident claim. You sure bought into the Sony marketing slogan very well(InfoLithium..chuckles) their marketing ppl oughta be happy. The fact is, battery technology is fairly trivial, when it comes to these low powered prosumer cam. You can pay the same price for that sony brand on your batteries, but don't for a sec think that everyone else should follow your path.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 11:13 AM   #89
Regular Crew

<<<-- don't for a sec think that everyone else should follow your path. -->>>

Sounds like you will be though....
Old January 2nd, 2004, 11:27 AM   #90
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Dan Tolbertson : <<<-- don't for a sec think that everyone else should follow your path. -->>>

Sounds like you will be though.... -->>>

What does that even mean? please put at least somesort of connotation into your post. Otherwise, don't even waste the energy. I've put out a legitimate complaint about not being able to use 3rd party batteries. Your comment is not on par with the level of discussion going on here. thank you sir.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion