Aperature or shutter Priority? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old July 5th, 2003, 03:16 PM   #1
Tourist

Aperature or shutter Priority?

I'm new to the forum and have a pretty basic question. I used two VX2000's to shoot a series of singers on stage. I set C1 with a fixed wide shot. I used C2 to shoot tighter and to follow the action on stage. Both cameras were set on full auto. C2 looks great. But on C1 the performers are washed out, overexposed - especially fair skinned people with blonde hair. I realize now that on the wide camera I need to make an exposure adjustment. Should I use the AEA or AES setting? I have read what the manual says but just don't understand when one priority is preferable over another.
Scott Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2003, 04:12 PM   #2
Major Player

You should try the spotlight mode. The best is to use manual settings.
Old July 5th, 2003, 04:14 PM   #3
Wrangler

Welcome to the forum.

If the camera computed an overexposure, I don't know why selecting either priority setting would change the results.

You might have been ahead to have selected the spotlight mode of operation although I think that may have created problems too.

The most reliable method of setting exposure, and you really need to be using manual exposure in this type of situation, is to zoom in on a face that is lit with the stage lighting that will be used during the production. Set the exposure and lock it in.

If you cannot get close enough from your camera location, get up on the stage (or at least closer) before the show and set up then.

It is really the only way to get reliable results. I'd do it for both cameras.
Old July 8th, 2003, 05:40 AM   #4
Inner Circle

As a single operator your only hope is the Spotlight mode I'm afraid. As Mike says, it's not perfect but it's a 'better than nothing' exposure fix for the umnmanned cam. I use that technique with my Panasonic 3 chip MX300 and I marvel at how good the Spotlight mode is on that camera. It even knows when the stage *isn't* spotlit and gives correct overall exposure.

Ignore the aperture priority mode as this can give rise to stroby effects as the shutter speeds rise and fall. And shutter priority is how the camera designers have programmed the VX2k - even more so if you've got 'auto shutter' OFF in the menu.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion