PD150 DoF at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old July 13th, 2003, 05:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

PD150 DoF

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that can give me some advice, or websites/links etc, that relate to Depth of Field.

I am new to videography, having recently bought a PD150 and would like to get to grips with the 'fundamentals' as I'm a newbie.

Any feedback regarding the above would be really appreciated.

Many thanks,
Neil
Neil McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 07:36 PM   #2
Wrangler

Neil,

On a video camera, the DOF is pretty obvious and follows the normal optical 'rules.'

Not certain what you are looking for. The PD150 lens is not marked, as are many still-camera lens for not only aperature and distance so there are no DOF indications either.

You probably know the 'normal' truths about DOF so if you want to know more, a Google search should turn up more information than you ever wanted to know. I don't know where to find them, only how.

People do worry about DOF but normally only at the specific time it is a problem and then a quick look at the image tells you what you need to know. With the PD150, exact prediction is almost impossible except:

1. If you know the aperature (must be in manual aperature)
2. You know the distance to the subject.
3. You know the zoom ratio (which the PD150 does not show) So you have to estimate the focal length.

Once you know those three things (and the dimensions of the chips) you can calculate the DOF.

You must have a specific application that causes you to ask?

Welcome and have a pint for me.
Old July 15th, 2003, 07:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your feedback above.

I've only had my PD150 about 4 or 5 weeks and am still playing around with it. Since this is my first DVCAM, and I don't have any photographic experience, I have loads and loads to learn about camera craft. I am keen however to learn. I have taken onboard what you said about the 150 not having the markings on the camera, so I guess it's just a question of going out there and trying different things.

I do hope in time to be able to professionally shoot wedding and corporate events. To date, I have managed to take a friends footage from last summer, capture and edit with Vegas 4.0, then author a DVD-R c/w menus and addional music to complement the ambient sound etc.

Now that I have my camera, I'm not too sure what to shoot to give me experience. I feel it's a bit like someone asking you if you having any jokes! Any thoughts and suggestions would be really appreciated.

Many thanks and regards,
Neil
Neil McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2003, 09:32 AM   #4
Wrangler

The solution to no experience is to go get some. Don't wait for someone to give you the opportunity.

There are lots of home-town, family and friends events that can be taped. I don't mean a casual stroll in with the camera rolling. I mean plan your work, execute to the plan, then edit it to a finished piece. Just as if you were being paid megabucks for the work.

Then show it around. Troll for comments. Especially negative comments. Ignore the, "Oh it's great," stuff. Unless you truly feel it is.

There are books, tapes, classes, and intern work to name a few ways of picking up information. Did I mention cinema classes at the nearest community college?

Early-on, I did a piece on my wife's flowers. Set to music with just simple slow dissolves and she likes it. It was a learning experience in DOF and wind and light.

Just go out and tape something. :-)
Old July 15th, 2003, 10:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the confidence Mike!

It's really picked me up again 8-)

Best wishes fae Scotland,
Neil
Neil McLean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion