DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Vx2000 Lens and Mic Question. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/11990-vx2000-lens-mic-question.html)

Steve Montoto July 13th, 2003 10:38 AM

Vx2000 Lens and Mic Question.

Hello all,

I have a 2 part question I would hope someone could answer for me.

#1. I am about to buy a WD-58H for my first wide angle lens, I have read that everyone here seems to be fond of them.

My question is, what about filters? uv ect. because there are no screw threads to mount them to the WD-58H. Do they go behind between the Lens and the camera? Or do you guys just not use them when you have the Wide Angle on?

ok now for question #2

#2. I have a Studio One Pro XLR adapter for my sennheiser MK66, and a sennheiser e100 wireless mic.

Can I hook both mics up to the Studio One Pro and Record one source on each channel of the VX2000? So I can have 2 separate channels to mix from in Post? I tried to do this but it didnt seem to work, I dont know if im doing something wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Stephen

Harry Settle July 13th, 2003 11:56 AM

Maybe I can assist with the mic question. I have an XLR-Pro, from sign Video, so I'm not sure what options you have with your adapter, but, here goes.
Possibly you already have the two channels present, but don't realize it. No matter how you input to the VX, the track looks the same in your nle. Might be all you need to do is separate the channels.
When I input from 2 mics, I have a switch for mono or stereo. Select mono, and everything is mixed into the camera. Set it to stereo, and the mics are split on the two channels in the VX2K. When you go to edit, it appears the same on your editor as it always does. In vegas, I copy the soundtrack to another track, go to channel select, and choose left for the original and right for the new copy. This gives you two separate channels, which you can edit as you wish.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Steve Montoto July 13th, 2003 01:18 PM

Mic problem

Hi Harry,

Thanks for your response. Let me clarify what exactly I'm doing and see if your response still applies.

On my StudioOne XLR-BP Pro I am plugging my sennheiser Shotgun into one XLR port and then Plugging My Wireless Mic into the Other XLR port then taking the 3.5mm stereo jack comming out of the StudioOne and going into the camera. I then set the StudioOne for (stereo) so I think I should be recording input one of the left and input 2 on the right channel of the vx2000. But in my Headphones attached to the VX2000 I only hear one of my mics in the left ear and nothing in the right.

I might have something not configured properly so thats why I was asking.

Steve

Harry Settle July 13th, 2003 09:29 PM

Sounds like something isn't configured correctly. I hear stereo from my headset. Do you only hear from one port? If so, check which one, then switch mics, see if it's a mic problem. Also check if you are set for line or mic both on the camera, and the xlr pro. Do both of your mics have power?

Steve Montoto July 13th, 2003 09:39 PM

Mic Problem

Im going to check it out again tomorrow.

Both mics are powered, and the switches are set to mic on the xlrbppro.

I thought I read somewhere that there was an issue with the vx2000 recording on both channels with the Auto mic gain set to on? Is this correct?

I will let you know what I find out tomorrow.

Steve

Harry Settle July 14th, 2003 09:58 AM

That doesn't sound like a reasonable explanation, for what you are experiencing.

Garret Ambrosio July 14th, 2003 10:17 AM

I have used WA lenses with a UV lens behind it (on the original lens), but gone bareback with the WA. I don't know if there is a bayonet type UV/protector filter for a WA lens. I am doubtful of their existence,, since I've never seen them on the internet nor at any retailer or catalog, but like many things, because we have not seen it, doesn't mean it does not exist.

Steve Montoto July 14th, 2003 11:18 AM

Found out about the XLR-BP Pro

Harry,

I called Studio 1 this morning and they had me run a few tests for them, It turns out that something is wrong with the XLR-BP pro, so they are sending me another one.

I appreciate your input, Im glad thats all it was.

Steve

Ralph Morris July 16th, 2003 02:39 PM

Hi Steve,
I bought the Kenko Pro with bayonet mount for my VX2000. I've heard it compares favorably with the Canon unit, but I have not done a comparison myself. It also has threads for a filter.

The unit has very little barrel distortion, and I like the bayonet mount feature. Those that have tried both say it's not as sharp as the Century WA, but at 40% of the price, I'm happy with the results.