DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Panny 83 minute tapes - yes or no? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/12132-panny-83-minute-tapes-yes-no.html)

Lucas Hall July 16th, 2003 10:01 PM

Panny 83 minute tapes - yes or no?

I am tempted to use the Panasonic AY-DVM83MQ tapes for the next event. Have PD150 folks have tried these with success? It will be a whole-day funeral and 83-minute tapes can save me some tape popping. But only, and only if other people have done it with no problem.
Thanks,
Lucas

Mike Rehmus July 16th, 2003 10:44 PM

If you have been using Panasonic tapes in your camera, the longer tapes should, in and of themselves cause no additonal problems.

However, if you haven't been using Panasonic tapes, I would predict you won't make it through the event without major tape clogs.

But some people are lucky.

Don Bloom July 17th, 2003 04:42 AM

I've been using the Panny 83's in both my 150's for weddings for quite a while without any problems at all. HOWEVER...as Mike said, if you've not used Panasonic tapes before be sure to do a careful and complete head cleaning (the cameras,not yours) before you start using them. To me, they are worth the added expense. Those extra 20 minutes of record time can make a big difference.

Lucas Hall July 17th, 2003 06:51 AM

Thanks Mike an Don. It's a brand new camera, so I can start with anything :) However, my other camera (JVC DV500) is consuming Panasonic tapes, so I'll go with Panny as well for the PD150. I was advised by experts though, not to use anything other than 60 min tape on the JVC camera. I myself experienced glitches on the JVC DV500 camera when I tried the Panny 83 min tape. If like you folks said, there's no problem whatsoever with using 83 min tape on the PD150, I guess the tape transport system on the Sony cam is stronger then.

Thanks for in input,
Lucas

Adi Head July 24th, 2003 05:47 AM

i don't have a clue if this it true or not, but a videographer i know told me to avoid 83 min. tapes, claiming that they wear down the motor that turns the tape. he says that the motor in the pd150 isn't quite built for turning the bigger 83 min. roles. so i stick with the shorter ones.

Mike Rehmus July 24th, 2003 10:42 AM

Since Sony sells 80 minute tapes without warning labels, this would seem to be a unsubstantiated rumor.

However, Sony maintains a toll-free telephone tech support for their pro cameras. Call that number (sorry, I lost it) if you have a question about the PD150. I assume they will accept emails too.

But I wouldn't hold my breath about them advising you about Panasonic Tapes in Sony cameras.

Don Bloom July 24th, 2003 02:22 PM

I have never heard of anything like that before. I can't say true or not but I've been using PAnny 83's in both my PD150's AND my old VX1000 with out any problems and all 3 cameras have a fair number of hours on them.
Granted, I don't use the 83's for everything just wedding ceremonies. 2 cameras 40 to 50 ceremonies per year, and again no problems, no strange noises, no dropouts.
I would want to know where the videographer who told you about the 150's motor got his info. Frankly I think the 150 has 1 of the strongest transports around, (a lot better than a lot of my old stuff I use to use).
Remember too, that marketing can come into play, of course Sony wants you to use Sony tapes in your Sony camera.
Don

Adi Head July 24th, 2003 05:24 PM

as i was saying... i really have no idea. i don't know this guy who told me this too well and i don't know where he got his information. could be all false or just some rumor.

Glenn Chan July 26th, 2003 12:35 AM

Old Sony tapes did not get along well with other brands, but the tapes have been reformulated back in 1997.

This is the same situation with another manufacturer (maxell? TDK???). Sometimes tape companies make tape for other companies which put their name on it. I noticed that Sony started selling 80 minute tapes after Panasonic. Does anyone have both brands and compare them to see if they look the same? :P