VX2100 focus problem - camera or operator? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old July 25th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #1
New Boot

VX2100 focus problem - camera or operator?

I am fed up trying to focus my VX2100 when zoomed out and would like some advice.

My biggest problems occur when I am shooting at the Wide end of the zoom range. I find that when I zoom in, then focus through the viewfinder, and then zoom out the shots are slightly out of focus. I can not see enough detail in the viewfinder to reliably change this while at the wide end of the zoom. I only hope all is well.

I then use the LCD to frame the shots and to monitor the shoot and cannot detect any problems. But when I get it back to the studio NLE monitor shows the focus problem.

Many of my shots are made at a distance of 9-11 feet from the subject, and the manual focus ring is very near the infinity setting. I shoot at full manual settings, AE priority, shutter speed 1/60, and usually no less than F4. The sharpness is usually at 0 or +1.

To my knowledge, the camera has never been bumped or treated in any way except with extreme care (I allow no one else to even touch this).

Could the camera be at fault, or do I need to get a field monitor so I can get a better focus, or am I missing something else fundamental? I was hoping to avoid the cost and inconvenience of a field monitor but I'm also not real excited about trying to get the camera worked on. Fixing the operator may be easiest!

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Ray Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If you shoot manual you can always try to use the one push focus button after you zoomed out and the camera should correct, if you say it doesn't keep focus when zooming out you should consider sending the camera in for a check up on the lens. the vx2100 isn't the easiest camera to focus manually based on the lcd or viewfinder, for me that one push focus button has always assured I got a sharp image.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #3
New Boot

Noa,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the manual focus and got a slight improvement. This made me think some more and I tried another step that seems to work.

I increased the exposure by 2 steps on the wheel, and while the Zebras went crazy I was able to focus at about mid-zoom and then back out to full wide. After focusing I return the exposure to normal.

The results look pretty crisp, at least compared to what I have been getting. I can focus either manually (a bit tedious) or with the one push focus button and get satisfactory results.

I'm not sure what problem this may highlight with the camera, but it doesn't seem normal. At least for now I have a workaround.

Thanks.
Ray Orr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion