Pd 150 Long Lens Adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 1st, 2003, 05:05 AM   #1
New Boot

Pd 150 Long Lens Adapter

Hi everyone,
long time since I have been herre. I am looking at what is the best solution for producing 'extreme' shallow depth of field on my Sony pd 150, beyond what the fixed lens can produce. Does anyone knows of zoom adaptors, or step up rings that could produce this result for me ?
Thanks for feed back, Juan
Juan Gelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2003, 07:42 AM   #2
Wrangler

Perhaps a telephoto adapter will help. But I expect not as much as you wish.
Old August 1st, 2003, 08:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Juan, have you tried controlling the aperature manually? Your definition of "extreme" may be more demanding than mine, but you can get some pretty shallow DOF with the manual settings.
"Before they are gone forever..."
Ralph Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2003, 02:05 PM   #4
Inner Circle

To get shallower depth of field you want to:
1- zoom in more and step back (sometimes not practical in the field because you can trip)
2- open up the aperature to its maximum
3- add ND filters as necessary to avoid overexposure. (these are built into the PD150?)

Other solutions is to get a camera with larger CCDs and to put a softscreen behind the subject to fake a shallow depth of field.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2003, 08:27 PM   #5
New Boot

pd long lens

Hi,
thanks for all feed back. I am definitly talking telephoto adapter here.
Even at lowest aperture end of zoom the lens doesn't give me the flexibility I need for this particular sequence. A telephoto should allow me to play around mor with d.o.p. Mike can you recomend a good telephoto adapter ?
Tx J
Old August 1st, 2003, 08:35 PM   #6
Wrangler

Century Optics makes a good one. I don't know about the other brands. Century also makes an adapter to adapt Nikon lens to standard Sony 1/2" mounts. If you had access to a DSR-300, that would be a great way to get a really long lens on a video camera.

I think one can also rent prime lens for various lens mounts. Course you have to have access to the camera in the first place.

You know, if you have a short shoot, you might want to consider renting a setup.

Or, gasp, shooting in Super8 or 16 mm.
Old August 2nd, 2003, 11:56 AM   #7
New Boot

telephoto for pd 150

Mike,

thank you very much for your advice. I am going to investigate Century's adapters.
I take your point about working with an other camera (DSR300/500) but I guess I really quite invovled with the 150 and I am exploring ways to push the camera as far as I can whilst being aware and working with the limitations of the camera, could be a great way to produce some original results.
Juan
Old August 2nd, 2003, 12:01 PM   #8
Wrangler

Well, you could really put on your test pilot goggles and remove the exisiting lens from the camera and explore adaptors for popular still cameras lens. :-)))))

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion