DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Best way to shoot (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/13010-best-way-shoot.html)

Brian Patterson August 8th, 2003 02:44 PM

Best way to shoot

I'm filming a wedding with a VX2000 and need some advice on settings. As we know, there is little to no prep time with weddings!

I prefer to film in automatic because of the difficulty of adjusting exposure on the fly in an event like a wedding. I've never used the custom preset feature but looking at it today, it might be a good way to go.

Is it better to shoot in automatic or under the custom preset settings?

I'm finding that the exposure in automatic is too high resulting in subjects outdoors that have mids that are too low (subjects look a little to dark).

So far I've just been shooting and then correcting everything in Final Cut, but I'm trying to reduce the time involved in the very time-consuming practice.

Can anyone offer some advice and/or suggestions? Thanks!

Don Bloom August 8th, 2003 04:38 PM

I don't know about the V2K but in the PD150's CP is Color Level, Sharpness, WB and Gain Limit.

I've found that for most of the wedings I do 1/60th shutter with anywhere from f/2 to f/5.6 works pretty well. It depends on the church, time of day and weather as well as the ambient lighting of course. The weather plays a big part in a couple of places I shoot because of the very large windows at the top of a cupola (coo-po-la) on the roof of the church. Today it's been very overcast so my exposure today would be slightly more open than a bright sunny afternoon. Did I mention this place has very very white walls.

There is no 1 setting to use. Each venue will be different and probably different every time you go there. On the 150 I can set my shutter speed and use a manual aperture that I can check by pushing the aperture button just to make sure I didn't lose my mind.

I guess you mind want to keep going auto and if possible open the iris 1 to 2 stops or perhaps theres a backlight button as on the 150. It opens up about 2 stops. Don't forget zoom in get your exposure than zoom out to frame. Get your exposue off the skin tone-white balance off a white or gray card under the lighting the B/G will be under and you should be OK.
Hope this helps a little
Don

P.S. Many times depending on the light outside, I will use my on cam light-50W no diffusion to open up shadows and put some highlites in. Something I learned from my days as a still guy 30 years ago. Old habits are hard to break and can be real helpful.
Don

Lou Bruno August 8th, 2003 06:20 PM

You can adjust the camera via the custom preset located under the rear of the handle. You can extend the sharpness to 75% and lower the color saturation to the left a few notches. This results in less color bleeding and that red-look under low lighting.

Lou Bruno

Lucas Hall August 12th, 2003 05:16 PM

Hey Lou!
It's nice seeing you posting tips on this board. I found a lot of helpful tips from you on the DV500 board. Do you have more tips for the PD150 to share? :)

I experienced some color bleeding in my footage, so I definitely try out your tips. Do you recommend this setting as a permanent settting on the camera or should it be changed to default under different lighting situations like inside/outside/day/night?

Thanks,
Lucas