VX2000 Maintenance Schedule at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 14th, 2003, 07:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

VX2000 Maintenance Schedule

Is there a recommended maintenance schedule for the VX2000?

How often to run a cleaner cassette through it. How often to take it to a service facility to have the heads cleaned. Any kind of regular tune-up that needs to be done?

I'd like to have some idea of what preventive maintenance to put them through to kep them working correctly. I saw one post that said not to do anything until they show a problem, but that could be in the middle of a wedding ceremony or something so I'm not real big on that idea.
Darrell Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2003, 10:34 AM   #2
Wrangler

Many pro's send their cameras in every year for a cleaning, lube job and alignment check.

Don't clean heads more frequently that 40-50 hours. Then only run the cleaning tape for 5 seconds. Otherwise, use it only if you see a problem.

Keep the exterior dusted off. If you 'blow' the exterior off, don't get too close or use too much pressure. You can blow the dust into the camera through cracks between the case and the switches, etc. Far better to get a soft paint brush and brush the exterior.

I assume you know how to clean optics, right?
Old August 14th, 2003, 06:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Agree

I used to repair cameras and pro 3/4 inch decks and such. I agree with Mike - Do NOT blow the dirt into the camera, use a very soft paint brush to dust off the camera and all the cracks and such.

Cleaning tapes are abrasive and can and do damage heads, use one as a last resort. The heads on this camera are tiny and very fragile, use only sony tape and send it in for a checkup once a year. Avoid sticking ANYTHING in or near the door or heads, only let tape drop down into the tape transport and only a sony tape. I would not want to have to return my camera with a JVC tape stuck in the transport back to sony.

Blowing the exterior is really useless, the brush is most effective FIRST and in the end you can come over it with a light blast of canned air to remove the lose dirt still lingering. The brush will get everything up and off the surface. I use a kata bag on my camera where ever there might be sand blowing or dust, not just for rain, use it to protect the cam against other foreign intruders as well.

--
Kevin Nardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2003, 12:46 PM   #4
New Boot

Dust in the Camera

I learned a trick in Mexico to combat dust. While video taping a mission trip in a dust bowl area I had major head problems. Almost missed filming the last two days. A cleaning tape did not help. Finally, fixed it by playing a tape all the way through.

However, the next year I followed a tip and never had a problem with dust. That tip was to tape up the cracks of the camera with scotch tape. I covered everything I could and took extra tape if I had to open the tape door to replace the tape.
Old August 15th, 2003, 02:26 PM   #5
Wrangler

Please, no, not Scotch tape!

The industry standard is 'paper tape.' for this purpose. Used because it leaves no residue and comes off easily, this tape can be purchased in widths from about 1/8" up to at least 2". In any color you choose.

You see this stuff on film cassettes to guard against light leaks.

I think Markertek carries it. Not too expensive and worth every penny.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion