Q: VX2000 exact part number for shopping japan? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 15th, 2003, 08:18 AM   #1
Tourist

Q: VX2000 exact part number for shopping japan?

A colleague is heading to Japan and can pick up a DCR-VX2000 but I need to tell him the exact part number of the camera. E.g., the part numbers of the accessories included with the camera are listed in the camera manual.

I cannot seem to find this anywhere online. If you have the box for the VX2000 could you check for a part number (not model number) or perhaps the bottom of the camera will have it.

Much appreciated!

-Jason
Jason Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2003, 08:15 PM   #2
New Boot

dcr vx2000 in Japan

Hey Jason,
I'm sitting here (in Japan) looking at the box from the vx2000 I bought here.
Two questions: 1. Why do you want to buy it in Japan?
2. What part #'s do you want?
Keep in mind that it is not really much cheaper, nor is it an English or tourist version(which is more expensive than in the US.)
I will be glad to help you with any info.
Jamie
Jamie Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2003, 11:38 AM   #3
Tourist

RE: dcr vx2000 in Japan

Hi Jamie,

>1. Why do you want to buy it in Japan?

We we're under the impression that making the purchase in Japan would be cheaper -- my colleague who is paying for the camera is already there on business.

For example, mini DV tapes are much cheaper in Japan than in Canada.

>2. What part #'s do you want?

After comparing the prices at a store in Japan (online) we've decided to just order the camera locally -- the savings turned out to be only CDN$200.

Thanks for your help,
-Jason
Jason Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2003, 07:57 PM   #4
ChorizoSmells

One thing to think about if you actually do have your friend buy the camera here in Japan, what will you do if it needs repairs? Will you get an international warranty for it? That would cost more I imagine and also if you have to send it back to Japan for repairs, that would be a hassle and take a lot more time.

Buying stuff like tapes and other small items is no big deal but with a purchase of a big item like a video camera, if I was in your shoes, I would buy local if possible. Just being able to take it back to the place where you bought it can save a lot time/trouble if you happen to get a camera that is defective. If you can't buy local, then there are a lot of good places on the net to get one, DVinfo sponsors ZGC is a great place to start, you can speak to English speaking staff, there might not be anyone who speaks English at the service center in Japan, but getting the camera back to Japan for repairs will be more trouble than it's worth.

I was in a position sort of like you. I wanted to get an iBook and thought about buying it from the Apple site and having it shipped to my sister in Texas. It would have been a little bit cheaper, but I instead bought it here in Osaka. Three weeks after getting it, the battery went out, and recently the logic board went out, since I got it here, I took it back the place where I bought it and got a new battery within 30 min. and the logic board was replaced in 3 days. The warranty covered it all and since I use it a lot for my work, I couldn't deal with having to send it to the states for repairs and having to wait all that time. Plus I would have to pay for the shipping, at least $60 each way and a week to get there, a week to get back, another week or so for them to fix it. If all goes well then that's a 3 weeks wait.

Unless you can get a camera with an international warranty that you can use where you live, the couple of bucks you save now will not matter if something goes wrong and you need to get it fixed right away. Paying a little more money for a good camera but having fast and dependable customer service is more important in the long run. Hope this info helps.
Old August 18th, 2003, 11:23 PM   #5
New Boot

I agree

I only bought it here because I decided, while here, to do a docu and I almost bought and shipped from the US. The only place to get a terrific deal is in Tokyo's Akahibara(Electric City) and you probably wont find a vx2000 on sale so buy it from the US or Canada for all the reasons Rik said. I decided that I wanted it right away &just bought it for 263,000 yen (around $2000 USD.) I saved on not shipping to Japan and time aswell. It came with the biggest battery and a charger, but no memory stick reader(not a big deal for me.) The cheapest I have found tapes are 3pack for 1,580 yen ($12USD) So if the tapes(sony miniDV60min or 90LP) are much cheaper, have him stock up! You can even buy them at a convenience store , but more expensive ofcourse.
Good luck,
Jamie.
Old August 19th, 2003, 12:18 AM   #6
ChorizoSmells

Yeah, the price of tapes are going down, I get a 10 Pack now for 3,480 yen, US$29, about $3 a tape, 60min. And the Tsutaya video store near my house now sells a 5 pack of Maxell blank DVD's for 1,480 yen, US$12.50. Too bad they aren't the white coated DVD's.

Jaime,
where is Fuso and how will you be here? Also, what is your documentary on?
Old August 19th, 2003, 09:33 PM   #7
New Boot

Fuso is a small town near Inuyama in Aichi. It's about 30 min train from Nagoya. I'm leaving in mid Oct, and doing a docu about bosozuku(bike gangs). If you have any connects and are up for some crazy- filming- fun I could use some help and footage from Kansai. You teaching English or what?
Jamie
Old August 19th, 2003, 09:51 PM   #8
ChorizoSmells

Jaime,
I'm doing video full time, but this year things have been slow. I do a lot of filming in the clubs in Osaka, lots of Gothic, S/M events, live bands. I'm also making short films with a friend, and we are working on getting our second one written up and planned.

I don't know any bike gangs, but I'll ask my goth friends and see if they know any one, but your doc sounds like fun, I'm definitely up for helping you film. I have a Canon XL-1, maybe a little too bit to be following the gangs with, I also have an old VX-1000, that would be a good camera to strap onto a bike to get some motion footage. I always hear the gangs driving around my neighborhood, when I see them downtown I wave to them and they wave back, it would be interesting to hang out with them.

Are you shooting any girl gangs? My wife's friend from Hiroshima was a girl gang banger 10 years ago, have lost touch with her but I've always been interested in the girl gangs.

I'll send you an email with my keitai number.
Old August 20th, 2003, 11:19 PM   #9
New Boot

I interviewed one girl who said she is a Boso, of course I would love to get as many interviews as possible, and to hook up with a girl gang would be a highlight to say the least.
Yes I am very excited the more I read about these kids and I have hooked up with two gangs so far. I need 6-8 hours more footage and I'm especially interested in Kyoto gangs. If you would feel comfortable hooking up the vx1000 to a bike that would be a great idea! See what you can hook up.
Give me a mail so we dont waste time here with video nonrelated stuff - haha!
Jamie
Jamie Morris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion