Steadyshot on PD150 - on or off at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 15th, 2003, 03:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Steadyshot on PD150 - on or off

Do you wedding videographers with a good amount of handheld shots have your Steadyshot mode "on" or "off" ? I tried it and didn't see any difference in quality. What do others do?

Thanks,
Lucas
Lucas Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2003, 05:39 PM   #2
Go Cycle

Keep it on. The optical steadyshot is superior to other cameras;especially those with EIS. No degradation of picture quality.
Old August 15th, 2003, 06:38 PM   #3
Wrangler

Steadyshot is normally left on on my cameras. I turn it off if I know I'll be around strong electrical signals as that drives it crazy.

Also when shooting at night with point light sources including car headlights, the internal lens reflections look like fireflies unless the camera is locked down on a tripod. Turning off Steadyshot will make the fireflies alight, not stop them. But if they are not moving, the are not very noticable.
Old August 15th, 2003, 09:07 PM   #4
Major Player

I have a VX2000, which uses the same image stabilization as the PD150, and I have to say it's one of the best I've ever used!

I second what Lou said - It's my common practice to have it on when I'm handheld, as it doesn't degrade the image at all. So for handheld, definitely Steadyshot mode "on".

When I'm shooting on a tripod, I have a very nice fluid head. I find that the Steadyshot mode "on" imparts a very slight lag at the beginning and end of pans and tilts. It's kind of annonying to me, so I turn it "off". However, if you have a less than smooth fluid head and find yourself struggling to get smooth moves then turn it on. Then consider investing in a better head ;-)
Scott Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2003, 10:31 PM   #5
Wrangler

I have to agree with everything Scott says. I'd just add one other note: awhile ago I was shooting a performance from the back of our historic opera house. There tends to be a fair amount of vibration in the floor in this old wooden building and this showed up on the extreme telephoto shots. Turning on SteadyShot greatly improved the results, so there may be some cases where you would want to use it along with a tripod.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion