ME66/K6 with vx2000 still worried here at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 17th, 2003, 08:18 PM   #1
New Boot

ME66/K6 with vx2000 still worried here

I noticed, after buying good headphones, that there is residual noise with this set up. It's a lot like the sound that tape cassettes make when Dobly noise reduction is turned off. The sound is not so bad when played back, but I would like to fix this before post.
THanks,
Jamie
Jamie Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2003, 11:27 PM   #2
New Boot

Any help?
Old August 18th, 2003, 11:32 PM   #3
Air China Pilot

Is your camera plugged in to an adaptor (i.e. to the wall) or is it running on battery. Maybe it is bad power?
Old August 19th, 2003, 01:25 AM   #4
Trustee

It could well be the headphone preamp. Try the tape on another source and compare.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2003, 11:33 AM   #5
New Boot

ME66/K6 with vx2000 still worried here

Dont let the audio out via the headphone jack influence what you "think" is going on the tape.

The headphone and "audio to tape" audio circuits are different.

As BB said Monitor the audio output on playback to get the real story on teh quallity of the recorded audio.

Mark
Mark J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2003, 01:41 PM   #6
Major Player

I would agree with you MArk and Bryan. The phones preamp is pretty noisy on the VX2k definitely not made for critical monitoring.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2003, 09:28 PM   #7
New Boot

yeah thanks guys I think I know what you all mean. The play back is actually fine. I just wonder is there a more suitable way to monitor the "noise" factor since the hiss you hear is artificial, what is really being recorded cant be heard till after it's too late.
Should ok though.
Jamie
Old August 19th, 2003, 11:26 PM   #8
New Boot

Dont know about the VX but on the PD150 you can output the Composite(video, right. left audio) audio out to a mixer and monitor that via headphones form the mixer.

This works well when on/at a fixed location where you can setup a mixer, but if you are "run'in and gun'in" on the move, you just have to trust(from past experience) that your mikes/placement are good and working and your audio levels(no AGC) are set to proper level that you know(again from experience) will get you what you need.

Its like the old days of shooting still photography with film cameras: You practiced and wasted a lot of film to learn what it took to get teh shot. Then waited until the film came back form the lab to see how well you learned your lessons.

Its like the way I play pool or golf: Poke and Hope ;o)

Mark
Mark J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2003, 06:37 AM   #9
New Boot

Thanks,
I believe that is my only option. I cant afford a mixer yet and Im running around chasing motocycles anyways. So it's tough to be meticulous.
Jamie
Old August 31st, 2003, 09:04 AM   #10
Major Player

Swing over to the DV.com 'audio' forum and so some searches on ME66. Or ask Jay Rose to help explain wiring an XLR to mini and putting a capacitor in the xlr jack. I had to do this and it quieted my audio right down. He explained it and the wiring. Easy to do. Anyway, better suggestion would be to read his book on "Producing great audio for digital video." Really a ton of info that I never even thought about. Plus little tips and tricks and wiring info like I explained above. The book is definitely worth the time/money in my opinion (and others that have read it). Good luck.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion