Match the supplies to the equipment - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old September 12th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #16
Wrangler

Sorry, it is not irrelevant. It doesn't matter how many factions you think Sony may have, they still design their tapes to match the requirements of their camras and vice-versa. They, like every other company that make consumables for their hardware, look for every possible advantage they can during the design of their supplies. It's because the supplies business is so very profitable that they want and need to defend their supplies turf.
Old September 12th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #17
Major Player

But my point is, Sony don't design the tapes in any shape or form. They buy them and repackage them... same with CDRs, VHS tapes etc... There is no doubt in my mind that there's anything about those tapes that has been geared towards being run thru the PDs heads at all. They've been tried and tested, sure, but thats to the extent of it. Everytime a manual says "We only recommend using {our} brand of consumables" it has nothing to do with compatability, and all to do with brand loyalty and profits.
James Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 08:02 AM   #18
Wrangler

Sorry but I continue to disagree. Having been involved in the supply business in the printer marketplace, I can tell you that we were very concerned about the specifications and quality of the supplies. We competed with other companies whos products were similar to ours. The major difference in the customer's eyes were first for performance and then for price.

In no case did the companies (Xerox, Qume, Versatec) own their supplies manufacturers. But we had specs they had to meet and we sampled every batch of paper, toner, ribbons, etc. Every supplier had to qualify their products to even get on the approved purchasing list.

Sony (and any other camera manufacturer) is very sensitive to the delivered image quality from their cameras. If tape specs meant nothing to them, then the issues of dry vs wet lubricant and their contribution to major camera service problems wouldn't have existed back in the dark ages of DV because there would have been only one tape specification (that would be the cheapest solution). Image quality, head life, warranty issues all drive the companies to have a good match between hardware and supplies.

Having dealt directly with upper management of several major Japanese companies, my experience (not directly with Sony) is that they leave nothing to chance. Nothing.

By US law, a manufacturer of a product that uses consumables may not tell their customers that only their supplies may be used to avoid problems with their warranty. All they can say is that they strongly recommend the use of their supplies for the best results. If you could look into the test data, you would know that the manufacturer's supplies almost always work better in their hardware than that from a 3rd party.
Old April 26th, 2008, 02:09 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Would just like to say that I bought my PD 170 a few years ago in Australia and in the booklet regarding warrenty Sony definitely states that if you do not use Sony tapes that your warranty is void. I personally don't have a problem with that, but I can see how other people might eg why should it matter what brand you use.

I work for a media company that uses Sony cameras but we use Panasonic tapes and only panasonic. BTW that policy was in place before I joined, we haven't had any problems and we buy in bulk.
David Tindale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion