DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Buying a PD150 or a PDX10 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/13607-buying-pd150-pdx10.html)

James Sullivan August 22nd, 2003 01:57 AM

Buying a PD150 or a PDX10

I am buying one of these with in the next few days. I am really feeling the 150 for the low light vut I like the size of the x10. What is the man differences?

Frank Granovski August 22nd, 2003 02:20 AM

The difference? The PD150 has larger CCDs/cleaner picture, the PDX10 has better 16:9, higher resolution, slightly better audio. Between the 2 I'd pick the one that does the better job for my needs. I don't know what your needs are. Both are good cams. Maybe flip a coin.

Patrick Grealy August 22nd, 2003 09:51 AM

Difference is also approx $600.

PD150 will probably be replaced/upgraded sooner than PDX10.

I had same issue a few months ago. Bought the PDX10 for the wide screen and smaller foot-print and detachable audio show mounting. Glad I did.

P

Mike Rehmus August 22nd, 2003 10:18 AM

Couple of points:

The resolution of the two cameras comes down to the recording media assuming that the optical blocks and image processing of the two cameras is equivalent.

At a 4:3 aspect ratio, the 150 will have slightly better detail than the 10 because the lens and the CCDs are better. Indeed, although my DSR-300 has less CCD numeric resolution than either of them, it is better at capturing picture detail.

The supposition that a camera will be replaced soon should not make any difference when chosing a camera, assuming you HAVE to have one now. What is available today has to guide you. Pick the superior camera for your needs and forget about what might come tomorrow.

If you need low light capability, the 150 is the only one to get. OTOH, if you were going to take pictures from a moving vehicle with plenty of light, I'd chose the PDX10 because its small size means it can be held easier and steadier than the 150. If you NEED 16:9, the the 10 is the only good choice

And then there is the nebulous, "I just like it better," personal choice to consider.

If you are using the camera for pro work, the 10 is a bit small, regardless of its capabilities. Customers like to see big bodies and glass.

James Sullivan August 22nd, 2003 01:45 PM

Thanks you all for you input. I just came from an Xl1s and that was too large for me. I think I may go with the 150. At my local shop they sell x10's for 2000 and 150's for 3100. Is that about right in price?

Mike Rehmus August 22nd, 2003 04:57 PM

Yes although you can get the 150 from http://www.bhphotovideo.com (B&H) for that price with the soft case and rain jacket. They sell the 150 without those for 2900 or so.

James Sullivan August 22nd, 2003 07:04 PM

I am so stumped on which one to get. I want the x10 for size, but 150 for quality and lo-light.

Boyd Ostroff August 22nd, 2003 07:40 PM

Yeah, tough choice. Wouldn't want to give up either my VX-2000 or PDX-10. But personally I like the size and form of the VX-2000/PD-150 a little better. But I shoot primarily from a tripod so this isn't such a big deal.

I still think the deciding factor will be your desire for 16:9. If you don't plan to shoot a lot of widescreen then I don't see much of a compelling reason to get the PDX-10. The control placement is a bit awkward, you need to open the LCD to get at some of the basic functions, like custom preset. I find the menu thumbwheel awkwardly placed... I'm always accidently pushing it in and selecting unwanted settings. There is no manual zoom ring. There's an s-video connector, but no RCA plugs. You need one of those mini-plug adaptors just to hook up audio output. The f-stop is not displayed in the viewfinder.

On the plus side, the LCD screen is far superior to the PD-150, much higher resolution, physically larger, noticeably brighter, and has touch screen functions.

However I can easily overlook all the PDX-10's shortcomings when I look at the 16:9 output :-)