protection against humidity at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 22nd, 2003, 10:25 PM   #1
New Boot

protection against humidity

I'm shooting daily outdoors with a VX2000 in Fiji, where during the summer the 90/90 rule applies (90 fahrenheit/90% humidity) almost daily. Electronics and metal are known to rust out here in a matter of months, and computer motherboards are known to start malfunctioning when mold starts growing on them.

So my question is - what's the best way to protect the VX2000? We have air-conditioned offices, but I wonder if storing them in air conditioning part of the day might even make the problem worse and cause condensation to fog the lens.

My current theory is to keep the camera inside a rain-proof cover at all times, and keep a dessicant inside the cover to dry out any initial wetness.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of climate?
Christen Bergerud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2003, 02:43 AM   #2
Trustee

It's pretty damn humid here in Japan in the summer so I keep all my camera gear in large plastic tubs with lids. Inside the tubs I put large dehumidifiers. The dehumidifers and plastic tubs can be found at places like Home Depot or other DIY type stores. Not sure what Fiji has to offer but you might find something suitable.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2003, 09:42 AM   #3
Wrangler

I'd store the camera in a Haliburton or Pelican case. The one's that float. And then insure that the dessicant is changed everytime I opened the case.

The operating heat of the 150/2000 should keep the moisure away more or less. The part I'd worry about is the lens which is well away from the electronics.

In the short run, I'd guess the camera will not have problems. But if you keep the camera there for an extended time, I'd expect you will have interesting problems and have to consider the camera a sacrifice to the humidity gods.

Storing it dry should extend its life.

Have you checked with Sony to see if they have a tropical model? Conformally coated circuit cards, corossion resistant connectors and transport. That sort of thing.
Old August 23rd, 2003, 10:31 AM   #4
Major Player

Short term humidity shouldn't be a problem. Yes I know it is humid all the time. What I mean is that when you store your camera, you do so with dessicant, air conditioning, or whatever. The periods of time that you have the camera out and in use won't amount to a hill of beans. Just take care of them in storage, that's when the damage is occurring.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion