AGC and audio distortion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old November 8th, 2008, 09:00 PM   #1
Major Player

AGC and audio distortion

OK, how well does the AGC work on this camera? I'm going into a run and gun situation and must rely on auto levels for audio. Banquet envirn. with band playing. I won't be on top of the speakers but must protect against distorted audio. (The camera doesn't seem to have a limiter feature).
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #2
Major Player

Actually, the AGC on the PD170 acts more like a limiter than an automatic gain control. It doesn't raise low level signals like an AGC and only compresses as the audio approaches 0db. Whereas a limiter has an infinite compression ratio above threshold, the PD170 basically has a compressor with a fairly high compression ratio. It works quite well. Of course, if you overload the mic inputs, all bets are off.
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #3
Inner Circle

on my 150/170/250 I use AGC for wedding receptions all the time. I use a Sennhieser E604 drum mic running to my wireless receiver placed about 4 to 6 inches inf ront of the DJs speaker and my hypercaroid on camera. It's a great setup for me and has cut my post pro time to next to nothing for reception audio AND even with the DJ (or band) cranking out I've never had a clipping problem. The camera is faster than I am riding the wheel to control the levels and since at most receptions the levels are pretty much the same thruout most of the event (loud) I let the camera do the work and the AGC (limiter) does work quite well.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I couldn't live without it. The AGC works superbly for me with bands and DJs.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #5
Major Player

Whoo.....glowing reviews!
Better responses about this than I thought. Encouraging as well.

Thx to all.
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I did forget to mention thatwhen I run AGC for DJs and bands the hypercaroid on my camera is set to -10 db and the woreless transmitter on my SennyE604 is set to -6 db and I can go lower on both. I have a 10db attenuator that I can set up on the Senny plus the camera has an additional 20 for each channel. I've never had to use that but the addtional 10 has been used on occassion. Make sure you watch the bars and monitor with phones, AGC CAN bite you but most of the time it's a gentle nip ;-)

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion