Mixing PD 150 footage with Canon XL1 footage... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old September 2nd, 2003, 01:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mixing PD 150 footage with Canon XL1 footage...

This wouldn't be noticable, would it? I'm shooting a few filler shots for my short and I can't seem to get a hold of the Canon XL1 that I used for the first shoot. I can however get a Sony PD 150. I know there are debates about which is better but do you think I could mix the footage without the average viewer noticing?

Thanks,
Jay.
Jason Tammemagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2003, 08:25 AM   #2
Regular Crew

No matter how many times I try to match different cameras to one another, I can always see a subtle difference. I think you will find the same is true with a PD150 and XL1. Different chips, lenses, etc.
Stephen Schleicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2003, 10:14 AM   #3
Trustee

As long as you color and brightness/contrast correct, you should be fine. The only thing to worry about is if you're shooting under odd lighting conditions, because the PD150 has much better low light performance than the XL1s. So there it might be difficult to color correct. But under normal (good) light, simple color correction should do the trick.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2003, 09:09 PM   #4
Rextilleon

For me, color correction isn't the issue--its the sharpness of the image. I dont find that the PD-150 and XL1s cut together well.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2003, 01:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Sharpness? So which is sharper? If it's the PD 150 then that shouldn't be a problem because I could just soften the footage for those particular shots. If its the Canon, I wouldn't want to do that to my whole short just to match a few new shots.

Thanks for the info by the way.

Jay.
Jason Tammemagi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion