DV tapes in the VX2000 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old September 6th, 2003, 11:07 PM   #16
Outer Circle

Locally, I find Leo's the best bet in town. They always have time to answer questions, let you play with the goodies and back what they sell 100%. (They don't sell Sony cams though.)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2003, 11:09 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks, I've bought all my Nikon and 'Blad stuff through them didn't think of them 'cos they don't sell Sonys.

I'll head down there this week.

Thanks again.

Chris Obonsawin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2003, 11:58 PM   #18
Outer Circle

Leo's isn't a Nikon dealer either, though they buy and sell used Nikon gear. You're probably thinking of the Nikon dealer 1&1/2 blocks north of Leo's, on the same side of Granville. I've made that mistake myself, before I settled here from Winterpeg. :)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 01:14 AM   #19
Trustee

Lorn Lapham off of Boundary Road is a Sony Dealer. If you're after sound gear i can recomend AVR. Com in Toronto. They have the ME66/K6 in stock for a tad less than the US sells it. You also won't pay provincial tax if you buy out of Ontario. All you really need for starters is a mini stereo to XLR adapter.

FYI BeachTec is also a Canadian Company
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 02:02 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks. I'll check them out.

Chris Obonsawin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 06:05 AM   #21
New Boot

Got up this morning and saw I stirred up the pot. Frank is correct, the VX-2000 will not record in the DVCAM mode, just because you use DVCAM tape in it, but that was brought up before I joined in. I emphasized the relationship of track print to tape speed.

The sound from the onboard mic. (of the VX-2000) is not worth much. Many people buy additional michrophones. That's a hard choice to make as the cost goes up. It seems that these forums favor the Sennheiser MK66/K6 and the Audio Technica 835b. I opted for the AT835b, partly for cost and partly for it's reputation in the field, but I had not heard either of them before purchase. Previously I used the Sennheiser MKE-300 on the VX-2000. I have heard many negative comments about it, but my results were very good. I record in the field, only. Like Inner Mongolia, where the wind never seems to stop. I have to travel light.

Buying a better mic. will introduce you to balanced signal lines, whose connections are most often called XLR. This requires an adapter to get the audio signal into your VX-2000. The BeachTex DXA-4 has been a popular choice, but I believe they have a newer model. Another option is the GSTN1 from GlenSound. This is seriously acclaimed and fits well with the BBC fix.

All of this has been addressed in other threads.

Please look at these sites:

http://www.glensound.com/GSTN1.htm (for Audio front end box.)

http://www.bbctraining.co.uk/television.asp (for On line (free) training
with the VX-2000 & sound)

I started a thread in this forum listed as "Mounting the AT835b to the VX-2000".
You may find that helpful. It helped me.

Another thread listed in open DV Discussion, again by me, is listed as "BBC Training and Developement" which could point you to more sites.

The BBC fix, is the ultimate fix, but may require shipping and quite possibly will cost as much as your new mic. The GlenSound Box is part of the BBC fix, and may be purchased as a first step and it will improve your sound through the use of preamps; before the VX-2000 receives the signal. I am ordering one, myself.

Best Wishes,

Tim Lab
Timothy Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 09:30 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Thanks Tim, I apreciate the input (pun intended).

Chris Obonsawin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion